Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any schooling fish that swim a little slower and don't freak out all the time.

Current setup
29g tall
2 DGs 1 male 1 female
5 Kuhli loaches
And now the problem fish.
5 diamond tetras.... 2 males 3 females.

I have had the tetras for a little over a week. I got them to help almost "fill in" the middle of the tank.
However they are incredibly fast swimmers and won't just cut it out. They constantly nip and each other and chase each other around the tank. And I can tell the fast movement bothers my gouramis who are slow and very peaceful.

Any suggestions?

I love my fish!!!

I'm a fan of my golden White Cloud Mountain minnows. I have a betta set up, and if I remember correctly gouramis and betta are similar species, and my betta has no issues with the minnows.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're def similar being fish that have an organ that allows them to break atmospheric oxygen to a certain degree. But not necessarily in temperament. My Betta tolerates zero tank mates, my gouramis are very peaceful. It's all also just the individual personality of the fish.

Don't white clouds prefer cooler water though? Are they slower?

I love my fish!!!

To feed the loaches, just feed with the lights off. Or, get sinking food.

More cover might help, especially floating plants.
What do the gouramis do to show they are bothered?
A fish that pops to mind in the harlequin rasbora as being a little slower, or the black neon. The diamond tetra is a personal favorite of mine, but if they are too rambunctious for your set-up, look for something that sets up less of a hierarchy.
Pretty much all tetras will be little food hogs. If you get sinking food, the loaches will stand a better chance of eating during the day with everybody else. They are quite resourceful at getting food when they have time to come out and forage at night.

I have sinking pellets and even when the lights are off the tetras have at them. They try to jam the whole pellet in their mouth. So far they can't even close their mouth.

I have floating plants and the gouramis love those. My loaches are actually very active compared to others I have seen.

The gouramis seem to just try to avoid them. Sometimes one of them will run into the male and he gets pissed.

Pic of the male tetras being hogs--ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423000267.673007.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423000301.223206.jpg
Can't be good for him either but even when I feed at night after the lights are off, the pellet doesn't even make it to the bottom.

I love my fish!!!

Mine aren't slow per say, but they aren't off the walls either. Cooler temps are ideal for breeding, but they do fine in lower tropical temps as well. My tank is kept at around 74-76 degrees and I've had no issues.

The minnows do tend to try and hog food as well. Although they have yet to touch the cories wafers. They will try to steal betta pellets, but spit them out when they realize they can't. To avoid this I just feed them their food and the betta his food at the same time. No one bothers with the cories wafers other than cories in my tank.

Mine aren't slow per say, but they aren't off the walls either. Cooler temps are ideal for breeding, but they do fine in lower tropical temps as well. My tank is kept at around 74-76 degrees and I've had no issues.

I keep my tank at a very constant 78.
Also, just looked them up and they seem to swim just as fast. Not trying to be nit picky but is there anything that maybe schools a little tighter too?

I love my fish!!!

They just eat EVERYTHING. I even have to target feed the female gourami as she is more of a timid eater.

I love my fish!!!

To feed the loaches, just feed with the lights off. Or, get sinking food.

More cover might help, especially floating plants.
What do the gouramis do to show they are bothered?
A fish that pops to mind in the harlequin rasbora as being a little slower, or the black neon. The diamond tetra is a personal favorite of mine, but if they are too rambunctious for your set-up, look for something that sets up less of a hierarchy.
Pretty much all tetras will be little food hogs. If you get sinking food, the loaches will stand a better chance of eating during the day with everybody else. They are quite resourceful at getting food when they have time to come out and forage at night.

I'm going to do some research on the harlequin rasbora and see if that may be a better fit. Ugh these diamonds looked fantastic in other peoples tanks, and they are gorgeous, but they squabble nonstop which makes it feel quite a bit less tranquil.

I love my fish!!!

Love the look of the rasbora "espei" much more of the Orange than the black. I'll have to be on the lookout for those.

I love my fish!!!

I get it, you should get the best fit for your tank. What works in mine might not for you! Mine aren't very zippy though. They're pretty calm for small schooling fish. But you're right, they aren't very "tight." Hope you find the right fit!

I get it, you should get the best fit for your tank. What works in mine might not for you! Mine aren't very zippy though. They're pretty calm for small schooling fish. But you're right, they aren't very "tight." Hope you find the right fit!

Thanks! There are just so many differ types of fish and different variations of those too. It's confusing!

I love my fish!!!

They're def similar being fish that have an organ that allows them to break atmospheric oxygen to a certain degree. But not necessarily in temperament. My Betta tolerates zero tank mates, my gouramis are very peaceful. It's all also just the individual personality of the fish.

Don't white clouds prefer cooler water though? Are they slower?

I love my fish!!!

White clouds do prefer cooler water warmer water just means they should be fed a little more as the warmer temperature raises their metabolic rate.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom