Stocking my 11g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrsheep

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

i am trying to figure out the stock on my 11g tank, this time i want to ask before tossing 3 koi fish into the hurt bowl.

i a planning on doing schooling fish, i really like neon tetras and harlequin rasboras, also cory catfish, in my current setup i am doing sand and plants for the first time, ive also added some driftwood and i am planning on spreading those plants to provide visual barriers and hiding places should any fish need such a thing.

i know that neon tetras are not "high bioload" fish, but what do you think, shoud i stick to just one type in order to make a bigger school? or can i fit two small schools of rasboras and neons in there?

5 neons and 5 harlequins should be ok. but the more of one type you get the more natural behavior and the happier the individual fish will be. I saw marked improvement when i bumped my 5 neons to 10 in my 20 gallon. and then saw tighter schooling when i bumped that number up to fifteen.
the bare minimum experienced neon owners will suggest is about 8.

I do agree with the above poster that five should be fine with 5 ember tetras or 5 pygmy corys or 5 harlequins. but all of these are social fish with 5 being a bare minimum. all of these species in particular will benefit more from having larger schools.
good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up getting 10 Espei rasboras and 5 panda corys, they all seem pretty happy so far, my LFS owner recommended the same as you did so I think he is cool, he also sold me some flake food which is the same as he gave em but the corys seem to take a long time to finally come around to eating the sinking flakes, I'm wondering if I should get them some sinking food.

Back
Top Bottom