Stocking my nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletFeathers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm starting up my second tank (a 7 gallon). I don't want a betta, I already have one in my 14 gallon. So I was looking at micro fish for the 7g, I wanted Celestial Pearl Danios but they're really hard to find for a decent price, the ones I found were $10 per fish. Is there anything similar I could have? I'd also like a center piece fish (sparkling gourami? or clown killi?) & some shrimp. I'd love to hear your suggestions. :fish2:

What about moving the betta from your 14g into the nano tank? And replacing it with something more substantial?

That;s what I'm doing :)

I was thinking about it but the nano has the better light & it seems like so much trouble to go moving everything about (I'd have to swap out substrates, plants etc.).

CPD's are expensive but so are many nano fish. I have 2 large nano fish tanks and species you could use are:

Scarlet Badis
Dario sp. Junita Hill (similar to the Scarlet Badis but alittle bigger)
Clown killi's
Ember tetra's
Chili rasbora's
Neon rasbora's (green, blue, or gold color variants)
Purple Pencilfish
Red Arc Pencilfish
Spotted Blue eye's
Pygmy Multi Striped Loach
Burmese Rosy Loach
and many others.

I love Burmese Rosy Loaches myself, as well as Neon Rasbora's :) I would pick those two personally.

I actually didn't think I'd have this much choice! I love the Spotted Blue Eye's, I think it's a tie between them & the Clown Killis & Rosy Loaches are adorable! (but likely impossible to find). I've got a bit of a wait yet anyway so I'll have some time to decide, but like I said I didn't expect such a choice, it's great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok so I've decided to go with the Clown Killifish & Spotted Blue Eyes & for my shrimp species I think I'll go with Darwin Long Nose shrimp or just RCS, maybe a mix. I do have a question regarding the Killifish, i've had some people suggest a group & others suggest just 1 or two. How many should I buy? I was just going to get a pair.

Just one thing... both the Clown killi's and the Spotted BE's will use the very upper part of the tank. I would suggest doing one of the other and something tiny like chili or neon rasbora's for the middle area. Just a thought.

I keep my Clown killi's at roughly a 1m to 2f. I actually have 10 and 3 are male.

Just one thing... both the Clown killi's and the Spotted BE's will use the very upper part of the tank. I would suggest doing one of the other and something tiny like chili or neon rasbora's for the middle area. Just a thought. I keep my Clown killi's at roughly a 1m to 2f. I actually have 10 and 3 are male.

I second this. I would not do both the spotted blue eyes and killies.

Right, makes sense. I'm way too attached to the Killies. I can't seem to find any neon rasboras or chilli's online but I'll keep looking. If I can't find them Ember Tetras should be fine shouldn't they? I read they inhabit the low section of the water column.

CPD's are expensive but so are many nano fish. I have 2 large nano fish tanks and species you could use are: Scarlet Badis Dario sp. Junita Hill (similar to the Scarlet Badis but alittle bigger) Clown killi's Ember tetra's Chili rasbora's Neon rasbora's (green, blue, or gold color variants) Purple Pencilfish Red Arc Pencilfish Spotted Blue eye's Pygmy Multi Striped Loach Burmese Rosy Loach and many others.

Are there any in particular that would do well/breed in a higher ph/hardness?
(Already looked up all those suggested, just wondering if you had any others up your sleeve) ;)

Are there any in particular that would do well/breed in a higher ph/hardness?
(Already looked up all those suggested, just wondering if you had any others up your sleeve) ;)

It depends on how hard your talking. I've had Spotted Blue Eye's spawn in a gh and kh of 7-8. It was usually first thing in the morning the day after a water change. Plus it helps if they have a nice patch of moss or long hanging roots off floating plants.

But overall I normally keep my nano fish in a mix of RO and tap water with kh and gh around 3-4.

Right, makes sense. I'm way too attached to the Killies. I can't seem to find any neon rasboras or chilli's online but I'll keep looking. If I can't find them Ember Tetras should be fine shouldn't they? I read they inhabit the low section of the water column.

I have some Ember tetras in a 10 gallon. Mine are kind of all over the place (fairly active fish) but for the most part seem to stay in the middle.

On a side note: I got a bonus CPD by mistake and it actually schools up with the tetras.

Back
Top Bottom