Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three tanks and I would like to
disperse the fish that are in one of them to the others.

I have a 46 bowfront with....
1 angel fish
1 upside down catfish
1 yo yo loach
1 clown pleco
1 red eye tetra(i know needs group)
1 gold barb
2 cherry barbs
5 lemon tetras
3 blue gourami
2 pictus

I have a 29 gallon with....
4 bolivian rams

and a 15 tall that is finishing its cycle

I think am thinking of when the cycle finishes on the 15 putting the lemon tetra in it.

I think that I need to donate the upside down catfish and the loach to my lfs.

I will probably up the cherry and gold barbs if I can find them and donate the red eye tetra.

I am planning to keep the pictus for a few months and hopefully talk hubby into a larger tank...

Any suggestions on where the others would be compatible? Does the rest sound ok?

I would like to get some corys for one of the tanks which tank would be best or is that even a option?

:thanks:

IMO, if you want corys, I suggest some pygmy corys (or maybe pandas depending on the footprint of the tank) for the 15g. Having 4 Bolivians is pushing it IMO in a 29g, but if they all get along thats cool. I wouldn't suggest more than 2 in a tank that size though.
3 blue gouramis and an angel in the 46g may not work in the long run. You never know with territorial fish like that, but just keep an eye on it. :)
I think its a good idea to re-home the red-eyed tetra and up the numbers of barbs. IME, the red-eyes can be pretty nippy, so don't usually suggest them to be with angels or gouramis, and especially not with both. So, I think thats a good idea. :)
Try not to hold onto the pictus too long because they will likely start to eat the smaller fish. They are rather predatory and will pick off sleeping fish. They are really cool though, so I hope you can get a bigger tank for them.
When you eventually move the pictus out, I would suggest perhaps moving a Bolivian into the 46 (be careful though depending on the dynamic of the angel/gouramis, adding another territorial fish can cause an in-tank war). Also, you could add corys to the 46 IMO once the pictus are gone. :)

Yeah I am trying to get the bolivians to pair off. They are still itty bitty. I will rehome the other two once I get a pair. Thanks for the heads up!

I think I may rehome the gourmies also. They are hiding alot and I just do not think they are happy. Maybe scared of the angel though it doesn't seem to pick on anyone at all.

I will keep a close eye on the pictus. Maybe hubby will cave and let me get a larger tank. They are his favorites.

Yeah, I think pictus cats are amazing! I love the long whiskers. I will have my fingers crossed that he agree to a bigger tank!
Often, gouramis hide when they are young, but eventually get bolder and bossy. It could be that the angel intimidates them though. Gourami also do not often like fast tankmates. They can get stressed or annoyed by zippy little guys swimming around them. :)
Since you are aiming at a Bolivian pair, you could totally still add a nice sized school of fish to the 29g. :) Harlequin rasboras would match the Bolivian's colors really well. :) But, if you want it just the Bolivians, thats totally cool too. I do not suggest any sort of algae eater for that tank because it will eat the eggs (assuming you want to breed them).

I think I may keep one of the gourami and donate the other two to my LFS. Depending on what their temperaments end up being like. As of now they just hang out together at the filter.

I picked up 4 more cherry barbs tonight and as soon as I got home and was looking there is no way I was going to put them in the 46 with the others. These guys are much smaller and I bet they would get eaten. So I acclimated the new cherry barbs to the 29 with the rams. Tomorrow I will acclimate the other two cherry barbs to that tank.

I will have to keep looking for the gold barbs as PS didn't have them. Hopefully I will be able to go to the nice fish store soon. I will take the ones I am going to donate to them. I don't want to donate to PS :nono:

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom