stocking suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I'm just in the process of upsizing my tank (fish should be moving in tomorrow hopefully!) They're going into a 138 litre tank with quite a lot of fake plants.
I currently have -
5 male guppies,
2 small albino cories
1 female bristlenose pleco.

Once my fish have moved into their new home and settle down and my levels are good I'd like to add some more. Definitely want a few more cories but I was hoping to get some panda cories too. Is my tank too small to have 4 albino coies and 4 panda cories? Shall I just get 2 of each? If yes would they school together?

Also I'd like some help with what fish to get :) I've got a list of fish I've seen/researched which I like which ill post below and I was wondering if people could tell me what would go well together and how many of what would be good to avoid overcrowding and keep my fish happy?
Obviously I WOULD NOT get all of these fish, they're just ideas of what I like :)

Bleeding heart tetras
Panda corys
Roseline sharks
Kribensis Cichlids
Double red apisto
German blue ram
White fin tetra
Dwarf flame gourami

I've read about the rams and as beautiful as they are I don't think I'm ready to care for them yet but these are just some fish which I like.

So what would work well together out of this list and with my other fish? I really want roseline sharks if I could get them.

Its 138 litres - I think about 36 gallons?
Chuck some suggestions my way :)
Thanks, laura

Hi there!

I think you could add two schools of tetras, a centerpiece like a pair of rams or a dwarf gourami, and a school of panda corys to that tank.

Just a few things about the tish you like:
-Roseline sharks are awesome, but get quite large and active. For your tank I would not recommend them.
-Kribensis can be very territorial. Many people have not succeeded with keeping them in community tanks.
-Dwarf Gouramis are very likely to have dwarfs gourami disease, something you obviously don't want in your tank!

Hiya, thanks very much for your suggestions :)
Yeah I'm thinking that as much as I love roseline sharks, I may have to wait until my next tank size upgrade, I'm sure they'll be worth it though :)

I was thinking, because the bleeding heart tetras and the white/rosy fin tetras look sort of similar, colour wise, I may get one school of the white fin (or the bleeding hearts, I keep changing my mind! Lol) and maybe a small school of something else instead if I have room. Can you recomment any nice small schooling fish which will add some colour? I don't really like neon tetras. And how many of each would you suggest? I think they're supposed to be kept in about 6s usualy aren't they? Do I have room for that?

I like the idea of a centrepiece fish, blue rams are so beautiful, I'm nervous though because I've seen a lot of people have trouble with them, would wait until my tank had been set up a while before buying them. Do you have to buy 1m +1f? I'm assuming you couldn't keep 2 males together?

And same for dwarf gouramis, they're so pretty but I read that 22 percent of them have dwarf gourami disease! :eek:

With regards to the cories, how many would you add? If I got 4 panda cories would my albino ones school/get on with them do you think? They need some more friends hehe.
Sorry for such a long reply! Oops lol x

Also I tend to prefer one decent sized fish (not large, but like the german blue ram size) rather than a school of smaller fish if anyone can think of any nicely coloured ones of them?x

I love the apistogramma, they're beautiful, would they be able to go in my tank with the other fish mentioned though? Or are the aggressive? The scarlet gem badis is really nice too. Thanks!

It's not an assured thing, but if you get him as a fry and your non aggressive fish are already settled there is a good chance, just make sure he has a spot that he can call his own and keep a good eye on them.

Ah great thanks. I'd have to try and find them first, never seen any round here :s

Thanks, I shall :) my fish moved into their new home today :D how long should I wait before adding anything else?

Thanks, I shall :) my fish moved into their new home today :D how long should I wait before adding anything else?

1 week with your Ammonia at 0 (needless to say check daily or more) should be sufficient. Don't add too many too fast, that small of a tank the ammonia can spike very quickly.

Hi, is there any way I could add 4 german blue rams rams once the tank is ready? Or 2 german blue rams and 2 of the golden rams (don't know the proper name)
So ignoring the other fish I said I wanted earlier.. could I have my current
5 guppies,
1 bristlenose pleco,
Get a few more cories so I have about 6/8 or even just 4 (I have 2 albino cories at the moment so definitely need more but not sure how many)
And then buy 4 rams?
In a 138 litre. Or would that be overstocked? Would they fight? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi, is there any way I could add 4 german blue rams once the tank is ready? Or 2 german blue rams and 2 of the golden rams (don't know the proper name)
So ignoring the other fish I said I wanted earlier.. could I have my current
5 guppies,
1 bristlenose pleco,
Get a few more cories so I have about 6/8 or even just 4 (I have 2 albino cories at the moment so definitely need more but not sure how many)
And then buy 4 rams?
In a 138 litre. Or would that be overstocked? Would they fight? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom