strange situation in cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so i have 2 demasoni cichlids
one electric yellow
and one albino zebra

the albino zebra and electric yellow swim all over the place and seem happy.

but my 2 demasoni's are strange.

the male lays in one corner of the tank on the substrate and just sits there...... sometimes goes for a swim and obviously moves when its time to eat.

the female on the other hand, hides in a cave at the very back of the tank, i sometimes dont see her for days. but when i reach my head around to the back i can see that shes alive and moving, im not even sure she comes out to eat

I am replying to bump this thread. I don't personally know much about cichlids even though I love them :). Hiding so much doesn't seem like a good sign though.

You might consider adding some ghost shrimp in the tank. They usually seek out caves, maybe she will get a delicious bite to eat from it.

In my experience with fish in general, if a fish seems "shy", it is usually a sign of illness or because another fish in the tank is very dominant/aggressive. She will need to eat...watch the dynamics and make sure she isn't sick or being picked on.

I am replying to bump this thread. I don't personally know much about cichlids even though I love them :). Hiding so much doesn't seem like a good sign though.

You might consider adding some ghost shrimp in the tank. They usually seek out caves, maybe she will get a delicious bite to eat from it.

In my experience with fish in general, if a fish seems "shy", it is usually a sign of illness or because another fish in the tank is very dominant/aggressive. She will need to eat...watch the dynamics and make sure she isn't sick or being picked on.

well i've seen the male chase her around and do the mating dance.....

What size are the fish? Are you sure they are male/female( sexing mbuna is difficult without venting)? How aggressive are the other fish? My guess could be the female might be holding or they are being harassed by the other fish.

well the male has round brown spots on the very rear of his bottom fin..... and the female doesnt. and im pretty sure i saw them doing the mating dance where the male wiggles around and the female reaches for his backside with her mouth

maybe she is carrying...

Either way, she definitely needs to eat. Hopefully she is getting something in that cave. I would try to coax her out of there somehow. Not sure how to do this without disturbing her cave. Just to make sure she isn't infected or not doing well.

maybe she is carrying...

Either way, she definitely needs to eat. Hopefully she is getting something in that cave. I would try to coax her out of there somehow. Not sure how to do this without disturbing her cave. Just to make sure she isn't infected or not doing well.

well i saw here swimming around this morning when i turned on the lights, but then she swam back in the cave.

i think these cichlids carry eggs in their mouth, so i dont know if they eat when they're carrying

well i saw here swimming around this morning when i turned on the lights, but then she swam back in the cave.

i think these cichlids carry eggs in their mouth, so i dont know if they eat when they're carrying
nope, they may eat just a little, but of the 3 africans holding in my tank right now, none of them have eaten for the past week. From what I've read about Demasoni, they really need to be in big groups, like 10 or more. Without any prior experience with them, I'm just repeating what I've read online though.

If she is holding she can go for 3-4 weeks without eating. Females usually spit their fry between 18-31 days and during that time she normally doesn't eat although I have some older females that eat with fry in her mouth...smaller fish holding for the first time generally don't.

If she is holding she can go for 3-4 weeks without eating. Females usually spit their fry between 18-31 days and during that time she normally doesn't eat although I have some older females that eat with fry in her mouth...smaller fish holding for the first time generally don't.

These fish are so cool. I want some :). They make such good parents.

nope, they may eat just a little, but of the 3 africans holding in my tank right now, none of them have eaten for the past week. From what I've read about Demasoni, they really need to be in big groups, like 10 or more. Without any prior experience with them, I'm just repeating what I've read online though.

+1 here. They like the big groups because they like having a pecking order and need a strong assertive leader to keep them all in line.

Back
Top Bottom