Strange tank size......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a wierd fish tank the other day. The measurements are:
---1' 7 1/2" long
---10" wide
---2" Tall
What # of gallons is this?
Also can anyone suggest any fish for a tank like this? I like cichlids if any could live in this. Would I need special equipment for a deep tank like this?

I have another tank its 20gal regular and I have cories, a really tiny angel, neons, glow light tetras, and zebras. I was really hoping I could put a different type of fish in there. Would I need a filter with a long intake tube and a deep water air pump?

I was reading a magazine and it said you can put 6 or 8 (I could put less if I had to) julidochromis marlieri (a type of Tanganyikan Dwarf cichlid) in a 10 or 15 gal tank. Would that work? Does anybody have any ideas on a strange looking fish? Maybe a figure eight puffer?

I was just reading on the internet that those cichlids are shy and I could only put a pair in. Plus they breed like crazy! Im thinking a figure eight puffer or some other odd fish. Any comments?

I found a cool cichlid at the store, it was small and yellow with horizontal black stripes and the stomach is white. The max size is 5". I didnt buy it though, my tank is completely empty.

A powerfilter with a long intake tube will be needed for such a deep tank. I know aquaclear has intake extensions for their filters. And you wont need an air pump if you have a power filter.

I would not keep 6-8 julidochromis marlieri together in one tank. When they are adults they will pair off and start becoming VERY aggressive. I would only keep them in that small of a tank for breeding. But then there would be no fish in the upper area of the tank making it very dull.

Puffers are a great idea. I know dwarf puffers can do well in groups and use all areas of the tank, but you would need a species only tank because they are notorious fin-nippers. Other puffers are all brackish-saltwater which I dont know much about.

Another thing that would work is a large school of tiger barbs, which look awesome when they swim together. You could then have some loaches at the bottom. Skunk and yoyo loaches come to mind.

*Edit*
Menagerie - I dont think the tank is home-made, all-glass makes a 20g X-high with those dimensions.

I do like the dwarf puffer idea. After doing research I found that julidochromis marlieri arent a good idea. Im thinking of maybe putting green tree frogs in, but I love fish....... Ill keep aquaclear filters in mind. My biggest problem is where to put the tank......If I put it on the floor, im afraid it will stress the fish, but if its on a stand, I cant reach the bottom :?

Your tank seems to a 20 X-high. 20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 23 3/4
The 10, 15 high and 20 extra high have the same footprint. A 10 gallon hood will fit on your tank in case you were wondering what to get.

Yea, I was going to get a ten gallon florescent hood. (my house stays warm and my tanks always stay at 80 degrees, incandescent heats right?) Im going to (try to) build a stand (hahaha) and move the angel being harassed by my neighbors sharks in there. Unfortunately I have to start w/ a 5 gal filter (Im so sorry.... :cry: ) Until my mom has money...those darn bills :evil:

Back
Top Bottom