Structurally safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blacktetra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 110gal. Mega Flow that I got for free from a divorcing couple. Only thing missing is the center piece of glass that is siliconed in place for the glass tops to rest on. I put a piece of 3/8 glass in and then filled the aquarium and it bowed out almost 1/2". Now the glass doesn't fit.
Question is: is this safe? And if I put a piece of glass in that fits now in the bowed out state, is it going to stress the aquarium when I drain the tank?

So there was a center brace and it broke? That's a major deflection there.. I'd drain it and we'll figure out a good solid fix..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The center brace should be plastic not glass? And you really need that, the front and back of the tank will bow out without it and could break. You need to get new trim around the top with the center brace.

photo.php

10606217_10152368296858458_5050499219095046072_n.jpg

You can see the tank is slightly bowed out. The piece that is missing was about 18 inches wide but was just siliconed in place. I have a hard time believing it could take a tension load or maybe it failed under tension which is why it's missing!
I was planning on using Marine 3M 5200 which is nasty tenacious stuff to stick the new glass in with.

we really need to see a picture. Is it an acrylic tank?

Had the same problem

I would not use a tank 4 foot or over without a center brace
What I did was measured the with of the tank empty then had a welding shop make me a brace out of 1 1/2 X 1/4 inch steel a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch over size I took it to be sand blasted and powder coated. Then when I installed I overlapped 2 wedges in the back to a very light fit. It has been working fine for a year.

Yea i would empty that and then see if you can find a replacement trim for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom