Stuff growing on my rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I think it's algae, do you have an algae eater?

That's algae. Not a very fun algae. What's your current complete tank set up? Any plants? How long do you leave your lights on?

28 gal, I no you should have 2 of them in there but my sisters tank broke and needed to put it some where, they both get on fine, will re home one of them soon

The lights are on for about 8-9hrs, it's been running for over a year now, don't have any live plants in it

The lights are on for about 8-9hrs, it's been running for over a year now, don't have any live plants in it

I would take those rocks and and manually scrub the algae off. Don't use soap just tap water and a clean new scrubber for dishes then soak them in conditioned tap water and out the rocks back in the tank. Also only leave your lights on for 6 hours a day to reduce this algae. How often do you feed your fish and how often do you vacuum the gravel

I vacuumed the tank about 2mths ago, they get feed twice a day, I will cut the light time down then and clean the rocks off thanks

I vacuumed the tank about 2mths ago, they get feed twice a day, I will cut the light time down then and clean the rocks off thanks

Okay do this from now on. Feed 1 time every other day, vacuum your gravel deep down 1 time a week and change 50% of the water 1 time a week. There is too much nutrients being left in the water and the algae is taking ahold of it before you can clean it.

Green Algae. Not a bad thing but it will spread all over if not controlled. I recommend staying away from any additive "algae killer" product. Reduce your lighting time and or intensity, it will die down.
You can scrub it off if it bothers you on the rocks, glass etc. Sometimes newer tanks go through an algae explosion then it dies off.

I'm also in agreement with fish-r-friends. Water changes are key for the overall condition of the tank and fish's health.

Back
Top Bottom