Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want some sand for substrate and I was wondering if I got normal sand from the beach say and washed it thoroughly would that be acceptable for a freshwater tank substrate...

I say no. However if it was something you really wanted and there is noway stopping you I would gather the sand then let the sand soak in water, then boil it and then use it.

I would strongly advise against it. Sand from the beach can contain traces of salt, oils, chemicals and everything else that could be harmful to fish.

go to your local pool store and get a bag of Pool Filter Sand. I pay like 6 bucks for a 50lb bag here. its super easy to clean and looks more natural in the tank. Also my plants seem to love it more than gravel, and my 2 %)(&#($@(*#$^(* Bumblebee Cats love it too

I wouldn't. It's hard to know if there is anything in that sand. Mostly things like oil or other chemicals that could be in the water way. You can kill bacteria buy boiling in but not so much with traces of oil.

Price up some Silica sand. It's basically pool filter sand but you can get it at automotive shops too as blasting sand too. It's nice and light colored and as mentioned rinses well. I spent 10 bucks on a 25 kg bag. did my 30 gallon tank, am going to do my 20 gallon and still have half a bag left. lol.

I rinsed it outside and was surprised at how fast the process was. Set up my tank and had NO clouding. I expected a settling period but it went great!

Yeah for the price you'll save beach sand is not worth the risk

Back
Top Bottom