Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a school of tetras and a school of danios in my 60 gallon tank. I was wondering if I can switch from pebbles to either sand or something good for putting plants in. I don't have another tank that I could temporarily put the fish in but I dont want to do anything that could harm them.:fish2:

Perhaps you could temporarily house the fish in a large rubbermaid tub with their filter and heater while you switch out the substrate. It'd be easier without fish & water, and you could give the tank some time to settle before returning the fish to the tank.

Perhaps you could temporarily house the fish in a large rubbermaid tub with their filter and heater while you switch out the substrate. It'd be easier without fish & water, and you could give the tank some time to settle before returning the fish to the tank.

Thank you I will try that but will taking out all he pebbles and water make my tank have to cycle again?

Thank you I will try that but will taking out all he pebbles and water make my tank have to cycle again?

It should not if you keep the filter moist (perhaps keep it running in a clean bucket).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like Fresh said, it shouldn't. While some BB resides in the substrate, most is in the filter media. If you can, run the filter (and heater) in the rubbermaid tub with the fish. That waythe fish still have filtered water and the filter media doesn't dry out.

Back
Top Bottom