Suggestions on Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flcowgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an already established 15 gal tank. It is currently stocked with 1 Bala, 1 Common Pleco, 3 Black Skirted Tetras, 2 Catfish (I can't remember what kind :oops: ) and 1 Rainbow shark.

I know that it sounds like it is way overstocked, but all of the larger breeds are juveniles, so I don't have a problem...yet. Some of the fish are definitely growing, so I think that I might buy hubby a new tank for Father's day. I need to know what tank size would be appropriate for the fish that I have. I am not really looking to add anymore yet, but that might be a consideration in the future.

I also need suggestions for equipment. I have a good filter and heater, but I am sure that I would need to buy bigger ones to fit the bigger tank.

Please help!! I am relatively new to this hobby and need suggestions.

It all depends on the unknown catfish, if they stay small you could get a 55 gallon, if they get very large a 75 gallon might not be big enough. Some catfish get several feet long.

Depends on where you look, but...

Bala Shark - 10-12"
Common Pleco - 12-18"
Tetras - 2"x3 = 6"
Rainbow Shark - 6-8"

That is 34-44" right there. If your catfish are otos or cories, then a 55 gallon will be plenty.

I'd find out what kind of catfish you have before you make your decision.

When thinking about buying a tank.......I would figure out the largest amount you have to spend, and the biggest space you have to put it, and then get the biggest tank you can. I think you can never have a big enough tank. You always want bigger. So you might as well get the biggest you can place in your house and afford from the get go. LOL :p

I do remember that the Catfish were not supposed to get bigger than they were when I bought them. I knew that some of the others were going to get huge, so I didn't want all those big fish in there together.

I forgot that I have two dwarf Gourami.

I think that I will get a 75 gal. I know that I have the room somewhere if I rearrange the furniture a little. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was going to point out that if you had the money for a 55 gal, a 75 gal wouldn't be much more. If you are going to upgrade to a 55+ tank, get a canister filter instead of a hob. They are well worth the money.

If you did not have the bala shark, you could have gone with a 55 gal. The problem is an adult bala needs lots of room and a 55 would just not be enough. A bala at full size would probably have trouble just turning around in a 12" wide tank. I don't think a 75 is even enough. I'm pretty sure I'm either going to have to bring mine to a store, give it to someone who has a bigger tank, or upgrade to a tank of 90 gallons or larger before it gets too big. :|

Back
Top Bottom