Taking a Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had 2 goldfish In a 10 gallon with 20 gal HOb filter for over a year. It's a common and a comet, I know this is almost cruel but they have lived but recently lost all their fins to fin rot and are missing scales here and there, they are bobbing up and down like swim bladder and don't seem happy. Should I euthanize them? They were 2 of my first fish and it will be hard but I don't want them to suffer. I know to fix their problem takes hard meds I can't afford .

Oh boy...can they possibily recover? Yes, but they need a much larger home with lots of healthy water & some antibiotics to cure their infections. This is a decision your going to have to make & whether its feasible for you to treat them. Do you know of anyone who could take them in & nurse them back to health? That would be my first suggestion...

Oh boy...can they possibily recover? Yes, but they need a much larger home with lots of healthy water & some antibiotics to cure their infections. This is a decision your going to have to make & whether its feasible for you to treat them. Do you know of anyone who could take them in & nurse them back to health? That would be my first suggestion...

Sadly none of my friends are serious fish people if you know what I mean the only option is a 150 gallon with a full grown tilapia at my towns sailing/bay center

This is a tough call. They really belong in a pond but i dont think they would survive very long in their condition. That would be my second suggestion- someone with a pond. If this is not a possibility, your going to have to make a tough decision here on what is in their best interest (health, well being, happiness) and whether you can provide it. If you can not provide for them, you will have to decide if they are suffering, unhappy, unhealthy and what your options are. Do you have a bigger tank? If thats not an option & you can not afford treatmnet, then your left with the final option. This is going to be your choice to make. It wont be an easy one-it never is. :(

This is a tough call. They really belong in a pond but i dont think they would survive very long in their condition. That would be my second suggestion- someone with a pond. If this is not a possibility, your going to have to make a tough decision here on what is in their best interest (health, well being, happiness) and whether you can provide it. If you can not provide for them, you will have to decide if they are suffering, unhappy, unhealthy and what your options are. Do you have a bigger tank? If thats not an option & you can not afford treatmnet, then your left with the final option. This is going to be your choice to make. It wont be an easy one-it never is. :(

I don't think the would survive the winter in a pond either, and no all of my other tanks are tropical thanks :( but I think I have only one choice

Why don't you just put an add up locally? There is sways someone looking for something free, you may be able to make someone much happier including the fish. :)

I menant like an add on crigslist or another resource like that...

Not to be rude but you don't seem very open to any ideas that anyone has offered to you, you keep shooting them down.

It seems like you jut want people to agree with you that the right option is to kill these fish.

As stated before it is your decision and it's probably the best if you can no longer provide for them and you are unwilling to look for an alternate home...again sorry I don't mean to be rude at all... Best of luck!

I menant like an add on crigslist or another resource like that...

Not to be rude but you don't seem very open to any ideas that anyone has offered to you, you keep shooting them down.

It seems like you jut want people to agree with you that the right option is to kill these fish.

As stated before it is your decision and it's probably the best if you can no longer provide for them and you are unwilling to look for an alternate home...again sorry I don't mean to be rude at all... Best of luck!

Sorry if I got off as rude it's just that IMO it would be a longshot for someone to want sick feeders. Plus the time it would take to find someone even if I could find someone

I understand... And I didn't mean as feeders as no one should feed another fish a sick fish. And you would be surprised at how quick (not all the time) someone would be willing to rescue the fish.

In my area we have a fish rescue, I wish there were more readily available.

I agree with niki! At least try to advertise on craigslist or something before you just throw in the towel! Maybe someone would even donate a bigger tank for you it's worth a shot isn't it?? If I lived closer I would give you a tank and the proper meds!! You never know til you try there might be a lot of people out there willing to help you. Shoot they'd probably have a better shot in the tank with the tilapia than in their current environment!!

Ok so sadly the goldfish died by accident anyway. I was cleaning the outside of a display tank and knocked an entire bottle of soap into their tank. I pulled them out and put them in a 5 gallon with maximum air but they didn't make it. I had their 2 HOB filters running the entire time as I was focused on them. What should I do to wash the filters and decor? I'm throwing out the gravel anyway but is everything else safe from the chemicals?

Pleco11771 said:
Ok so sadly the goldfish died by accident anyway. I was cleaning the outside of a display tank and knocked an entire bottle of soap into their tank. I pulled them out and put them in a 5 gallon with maximum air but they didn't make it. I had their 2 HOB filters running the entire time as I was focused on them. What should I do to wash the filters and decor? I'm throwing out the gravel anyway but is everything else safe from the chemicals?

So sorry to hear about your fish! I was hoping you would find someone to nurse them back to health! I would soak the decor in water with some white vinegar to remove any chemicals as far as the filter media I don't think if they've had chemicals run through them like soap you can salvage them at least I don't think I would trust it! What kind of filter media do you have? As far as your Hob filters you can soak them in white vinegar as well and clean out with a toothbrush ( one that's dedicated to fish tank only) obviously not one you currently brush your teeth with lol!!

Tigroscr said:
So sorry to hear about your fish! I was hoping you would find someone to nurse them back to health! I would soak the decor in water with some white vinegar to remove any chemicals as far as the filter media I don't think if they've had chemicals run through them like soap you can salvage them at least I don't think I would trust it! What kind of filter media do you have? As far as your Hob filters you can soak them in white vinegar as well and clean out with a toothbrush ( one that's dedicated to fish tank only) obviously not one you currently brush your teeth with lol!!

Also make sure after the soaking in vinegar and cleaning RINSE very well and air dry the decor! :)

cleaned out the filters and threw out the bio pack filter media. Am currently running the filters on a bucket of fresh water with carbon in it

Back
Top Bottom