Taking care of algae on wood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustedscrapmetal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a planted 55 gallon freshwater tank, and there is not a lot of algae present, except on a large piece of mopani wood. The algae is a mid green, and sticks to the wood so thoroughly that scrubbing does nothing.

I don't want to use any additives to the water to kill what little algae I have on one side of the tank, and the algae seems to be hard enough that my algae eaters can't scrape it off effectively either.

I also do not wish to bleach the wood since it might leach the bleach back into the water. Is there some other way where I can remove the wood and kill off and clean the algae?

I also tried reducing my light, and water parameters are fine. I just wish for this one piece of wood to be clean again.

Can you post a picture of it? Some types of algae can be spot treated with Excel.

Just looks like regular green algae. What's your light schedule? What type of lights are you running?

If its not a pain and your driftwood has been in long enough that it is beginning to soften you should be able to take your wood out and scrape the outer layer of wood off. the algae will come off with it. Personally I wouldn't do that. I would let it be. it doesnt' seem like that big of a problem based on the picture you posted.

It's very hard, like it's become a part of the wood. I have been trying the 48 hour dark periods, and reducing to only 8 hours a day for plants. I have two T5 bulbs for my low-mid light plants.

I'm thinking of trying the Excel spot treatment to see if it will take care of the stubborn growth. A hard brush isn't doing anything to it.

Green spot algae can be tough to get rid of. The only effective treatment I've found is scraping it off with a razor blade.

It does sound like green spot algae which is why I asked if it was flat and hard. You can try spot treating with Excel but Nerite snails are actually able to scrape green spot algae off. They are the only algae eater that is able to do this. They also can't breed in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being over run with them. I keep around 40 nerites in my 220g.

Forgot to add that a low phosphate level in your tank is considered by many as a contributing factor in GSA also. If you have a test kit for phosphate you should see what your tank is running at. A planted tank should have a level of .5-1ppm of phosphate.

I have a master kit, but with no phosphate tester. Just the ph, high ph, ammonia, chlorine, nitrite, and nitrate. I'll pick up a test kit for phosphate ASAP. Until then, I'll try the spot treatment. I do have some excel handy

Here's your solution: Siamese algae eater. Not the Chinese algae eater, the Siamese algae eater, commonly known as the flying fox. Crossocheilus siamensis.

David

The only problem with SAEs is they don't eat green spot algae.
OH OH! Knowledge lapse on my part. You are correct, Rivercats, a Siamese algae eater will not put a dent in green spot algae. I didn't link the algae in the OPs picture to GSA, as GSA is usually found on the glass and sometimes foliage, both of which the OP made no mention of. I don't think I've ever seen it grow on wood, only, but it evidently does.

Sometimes I think my SAE will eat right through the bark and hit its head on the bottom glass!

To the OP, the Nerite suggestion is a good one. I have two different morphs: the zebra and tracked. They're in my album if you want to take a look. They do poop like crazy, though.

Good luck, and let us know how you solved this issue.

David

The issue has been solved. I actually took the wood out, and soaked it in a stronger solution of excel than was allowed in the tank. I then scrubbed what was left off and put it in the dark for a time in some fresh purified water after that before putting it back in the tank. It hasn't been this clean since the day I bought it!

Back
Top Bottom