Talk to me about pythons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JengoJengo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Talk to me about pythons...I want to stop hauling buckets, but I dont quite get how they work. I understand that when you're draining the tank, it pours out into the sink. But, what about filling? I thought it wasn't good to put untreated tap water right into the tank without mixing in the prime, etc separately....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can add prime to the tank before filling and the tap will mix as it fills up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ah ok. And does it hook up to any standard sink? Ours has an aerator that can screw off.

It will hook up to almost any threaded outlet. Non threaded ones you can *try* the universal cap but it's not always for sure it will work being so many types of faucets.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So mine didn't fit, I simply went to Home Depot and bought a $4 converter piece. And I add the prime in before adding and never have had an issue. The water also drains at a decent pace and the fish kinda like it. Mine at least.... Always wanna swim under.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

Now I'm just debating on 25 ft or 50 ft hose....

There's always something to think about in this hobby!

Also match temp and treat for the entire tank not just the % you change.

I take the sink end out the window when draining my tank it drains alot faster and waters my lawn. I just bought the shortest one i could and bought 100 ft of hosing from home depot to make it 150 ft. I can put a tank anywhere and not worry about my python not being able to reach.

I ordered one of these bad boys a few days ago, cant wait to use it for this weeks water changes!

They are convenient. Mine takes 25 minutes to half empty a 75 through the sink with the faucet off

What is the python?

A snake of course!

Just kidding.. It is a hose that has a gravel vacuum on one end and the other has a valve that attaches to threaded faucets. You can fill/drain the tank a lot faster than buckets.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

For anyone old enough to remember, a python is comparable to the things used to fill/drain waterbeds. People actually use the waterbed faucet attachments and make DIY pythons, as the store bought versions are not cheap

Hmmm...so I could get a python and use it for my tank AND drain my water bed when I get ready to get a new bed....2 birds, 1 stone. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom