Tank crash please help,anyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex.walkerrrrr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three fish tanks, one is a 125 and the other one is 75 gallons full of baby angelfish and my third one is my planted tank with adult angelfish Cory cats bristle nose Plecos, and some honey gouramis and some pearl Gouramis

I have the smaller tanks on my light timer I went down today before the timer turn the lights on and my 46 gallon planted tank had seven dead fish in it, there were bubbles around the aquarium similar to the bubbles you get when filling your tank up they were stuck to the glass and air tubing they were also stuck underneath the leaves of the plants, the fish had torn fins and looked very stressed when I turn the lights on I check the water chemistry it's all absolutely perfect the tank is crystal clear the temperature is 77.6°F i've been in the hobby for over year now but I've seen literally every single video on YouTube about fishkeeping I also work at a local fish store One of my Plecos was gone this morning when I realized the other fish were dead so I had seven dead fish minus one it was gone.

I don't understand what happened if the water chemistry is fine and they all died at the same time I don't know if maybe a mouse got in or rat got into the tank

I do weekly water changes 30% in that tank with extra the dechlorinator

I typed this out with the dictation thing on my phone so that's why there are some typos because I figured it would be pretty long

Somebody please tell me what's happening if you know my other two tanks haven't had any problems on the fish are extremely healthy and eating.

Here are some pictures of the dead fish and bubbles under the leaves from about 45 minutes ago

IMG_2630.jpgIMG_2631.jpgIMG_2632.jpgIMG_2633.jpg

Do you have CO2 in this tank?

I have gassed a tank, killing every inhabitant. It was terrible. I woke up in the morning to a graveyard on the bottom-- but very happy plants! That would be my first guess.

Do you have CO2 in this tank?

I have gassed a tank, killing every inhabitant. It was terrible. I woke up in the morning to a graveyard on the bottom-- but very happy plants! That would be my first guess.

Nope, no CO2 injection, it's a low tech tank

How was the temperature?

77.6 f, I don't know what it was last night but the heater is fine right now so I don't think it malfunctioned, also the water would still be very warm from last night if It had warmed up too much

pH???

Recent fish addition?

I am so sorry. I have had something similar.

I used a water dechlor product and it works by binding calcium and in my water I have very low calcium - so used it up I guess - the KH and it caused a huge crash and mass deaths.

Any cleaners, sprays, methane gas leak in the basement?

Test kit wrong?

Take a sample to be tested elsewhere.

pH???

Recent fish addition?

I am so sorry. I have had something similar.

I used a water dechlor product and it works by binding calcium and in my water I have very low calcium - so used it up I guess - the KH and it caused a huge crash and mass deaths.

Any cleaners, sprays, methane gas leak in the basement?

Test kit wrong?

Take a sample to be tested elsewhere.

Ph is all good(6.7) ish

Most recent fish addition was a few weeks ago

No cleaners or spray

I have no idea what happened so I don't know how to prevent it in the future

Have you done a water change recently? Are all the fish dead or just some of them? Have you found the missing pleco yet?

Now my tank has an odor that's pretty strong and it's become cloudy(probably bacterial bloom) but the tank has been running for over 6 months. I found the missing pleco and a dead Amano shrimp but the pleco had a "bruise" on her and her fins were torn down the base. This is such a crazy situation and I have got no clue what's going onIMG_2654.jpgIMG_2655.jpg

Was she stuck?

Are those angels still alive?

Yeah the angels are still alive I lost 2 yesterday but the ones in the pic are alive, I have no clue what's going on right now, I've never seen anything like this, I wonder if it's a parasite or something

Are your angels breeding? Maybe they attacked the others in the night?

Are your angels breeding? Maybe they attacked the others in the night?

Oh that's a really good suggestion, I did have a breeding pair but since I switched the substrate so I could use plants I haven't seen eggs but you might be right, I'll keep checking for eggs

How long ago did you switch substrates? Mini cycle??? even though you said the parameters are alright? Are you using sticks for checking parameters or liquid. I have had the strips even after being verified for results on numerous occassions be wrong.

Do 2 30% pwc and then try for 2 more tomorrow, stinky water generally indicates poor water quality no matter what the test says.

Also did you replace the filter pads or rinse them in tap water?

Back
Top Bottom