Tank on all but 1 inch of the shelf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubyTetraLover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i have a fireplace brick shelf big enough to put two 55 gallon tanks on it (95inches)....all but 1 inch, meaning the 2nd 55 gallon tank will not touch bottom on the last 1 inch. If i do that, will the 2nd 55 gallon tank eventually break under the stress of gravity due to the uneven way its sitting? I'm thinking it would, but has anyone ever done it?
Thanks,
-RTL

Last edited:
Not sure abt this... But you could always shift it so only 1/2 inch of each tank is off. Instead of just one tank being 1 inch off. It might help distribute the weight more evenly. Someone who knowsmuch more than me on this wi chime in though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this shelf actually part of a fireplace, or is it just made of brick?
If it is part of a fireplace and you use the fireplace, it would probably be too hot a place for a fish tank.

Hi, that is a good point. It is infront of the fireplace, however, I don't use it so the heat there would not be an issue. The brick shelf is the bottom of it that extends out of the bottom of the fireplace about 15 inches or so.

You could do 1 bigger tank altogether. !maybe a 75

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

You could try placing a sheet of 96" plywood between the shelf and the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have my 55 sitting on a stand with about 3 inch over hang on each side and it hasn't had a problem since I set it up over a year ago. I'm sure the inch will be fine without a problem

Another thing to consider is how level is the brick shelf. It is important to have your tank as level as possible.

Thanks everyone for the responces. I think I'll go ahead and set it up. Just wanted to have an "abundance of caution". My fireplace bottom will look really cool with 2 55's side by side.

So ... I work in countertops, mostly Quartz, which is actually handled very very similarly to glass and breaks in similar ways. When people want it on top of brick an abundance of leveling, shimming, and plywood build up strips are used. We constantly see cracks where others don't take these steps.

I'd go with the suggestion to put plywood under, after shimming, because it's just a huge risk otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom