Tank once had an iguana in it. Can I still use it for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnolia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I have another question for all the experts. When viewing a 40 gal tank that my neighbor is giving me she mentioned, "When she had her iguana in the tank" My question is, will this still make an okay tank for fish and if so, how would you disinfect it to make sure it's clean? I did not think to ask and will do so, if she had the iguana in it the last time she used it or if she had fish in there since getting rid of her iguana. Thanks again for all of your help!

bleach

I would wash the tank with a mild bleach solution. Don't use any kind of soap on it. Be sure to rinse it thoroghly several times with water and it should be fine for fish.
Logan J

I had heard that if you kept a reptile in a tank that you would have issues keeping fish in it.

I was guessing that was due to maybe the sylicon absorbing the ammoinia from the "waste" and then leaching it back into the water.

But i have never tried it.

fishfreek mentioned:
I had heard that if you kept a reptile in a tank that you would have issues keeping fish in it.

I was guessing that was due to maybe the sylicon absorbing the ammoinia from the "waste" and then leaching it back into the water.

I had heard something similar and I had also heard that the reptiles may actually scratch away at the silicone while climbing about in the tank.

If it were me with this dilemma... I would totally sanitize the tank with a 10 - 1 water/bleach solution, then after it is thoroughly rinsed out, run a bead of silicone over top of the existing seams.

I figure, it will keep it from leaking and should insulate the old silicone from leaching back any ammonia (if it does actually does that).

Just be cautious before loading all your fish in.

Was it originally purchased as a reptile aquarium or a fish aquarium? Thinner glass is often used in reptile aquariums because they aren't being filled with water. If you're not sure, and also not sure about the integrity of the seals, it's a good idea to fill it and let it sit for a day or two on a porch, in a garage, someplace like that to see if it's going to leak (or worse).

stargurl said:
it's a good idea to fill it and let it sit for a day or two on a porch, in a garage, someplace like that to see if it's going to leak (or worse).

You need to cycle it in preperation for fish anyway, so this a great idea. Better to be safe than sorry.

My 45 was once used for some kinda lizard before i got it. It was poorly maintained and really stunk when I got it. I did the bleach solution thing. It still smelled kinda rank. I then left it out in the sun (in late spring, no freeze danger) for like 2 weeks in a very safe place. between sun, wind and a bit of rain, the smell was gone. I checked all silicone very carefully, it seemed good, so I set it up. All went as smoothly as any other new tank.

I'm no chemist, but I have heard that sunlight breaks down a lot of chemicals, maybe it takes care of ammonia too? Just Theory, don't count on it!

corvuscorax said:
My 45 was once used for some kinda lizard before i got it. It was poorly maintained and really stunk when I got it. I did the bleach solution thing. It still smelled kinda rank. I then left it out in the sun (in late spring, no freeze danger) for like 2 weeks in a very safe place. between sun, wind and a bit of rain, the smell was gone. I checked all silicone very carefully, it seemed good, so I set it up. All went as smoothly as any other new tank.

I'm no chemist, but I have heard that sunlight breaks down a lot of chemicals, maybe it takes care of ammonia too? Just Theory, don't count on it!

Experence speaks!!!

Thats great to hear corvuscorax.

just for the record!!!!!!!!!! there is NO cycling that takes place in a tank before an ammonia source is put in....the only exception for letting it run would be to get rid of chlorine, but unless you know for sure that you don't have chloramines in your water , you need to add a dechlorinator anyways!!! you CAN fill a tank, adjust the temperature, dechlorinate the water if needed, and add appropriate fish!!! you DO NOT have to wait!!

I bought a 29 gal aquarium from someone that has been used as a snake tank. I kept hearing that it would not be safe for fish, so I raised dwarf hamsters in it for over a year. Then I decided to take a chance on it. I did the bleach thingy, then added some danios to be sure it was safe. It's now been up and running for 3 mos. and I have had no problems. BTW, I was also told not to use a tank that had been used for hamsters because of the 'ammonia-silicone thing'. I figured if there was a problem I would just resilicone the tank. I'm not sure you can just add silicone on top of old silicone tho', I believe you have to remove the old silicone first. Anyway, the tank is now being used as a fry tank for african cichlids to grow out.

Back
Top Bottom