Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently done a full tank reset. I emptied my fish tank, ridded the sand, disinfected and removed all algae, added full tank of fresh water, cleaned all equipment, added rocks, etc. I have a 20 gal aquarium.

In my aquarium I have two male endlers, a Cory cat, and a large white snail. My ammonia has stayed stable between .5 and 1.0 ppm for two days so I have not done water changes. I put in a heater and air stone. I originally had a bubble wall. Neither one are really producing bubbles. Does this mean I need a new pump?

My fish were in a little bit of a funk probably due to low tank temp until the heater. Now they are beginning to play.

Any recommendations from my local fish people?
I have added an algae killer for maintenance, bio boost, and a conditioner.

By cleaning everything out you have likely killed off the good bacteria as well as the algae and stuff you didn't want.

Did you wash the rocks or tank with any kind of cleaners?

Did you add new filter pads or wash them out with untreated /conditioned tap water?

Watch out how much you feed. Are you using flakes? What are you feeding?

Be on the look out for Ich. After taking a bit of a chill, stressed fish sometimes will get it.

What are the readings for the Nitrite and Nitrate?

How long has the tank been set up before you redid it?

You mentioned an algae killer, what is it that you used?

Often (depends a little on what kind of algae) you can adjust the amount of time the light is on and change food to reduce phosphates and algae growth. Sometimes adding additional partial water changes to the tank schedule will help as well.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I read to just rinse rocks in a collinder with regular water. Brand new from the store.

New filter pads. To eliminate algae reinfestation. It was extremely hard to scrape off because without soap.

I just have an ammonia tested.

Was set up 2 years +.

Also I used algaefix...I think that is how you spell it.

By cleaning everything out you have likely killed off the good bacteria as well as the algae and stuff you didn't want.

Did you wash the rocks or tank with any kind of cleaners?

Did you add new filter pads or wash them out with untreated /conditioned tap water?

Watch out how much you feed. Are you using flakes? What are you feeding?

Be on the look out for Ich. After taking a bit of a chill, stressed fish sometimes will get it.

What are the readings for the Nitrite and Nitrate?

How long has the tank been set up before you redid it?

You mentioned an algae killer, what is it that you used?

Often (depends a little on what kind of algae) you can adjust the amount of time the light is on and change food to reduce phosphates and algae growth. Sometimes adding additional partial water changes to the tank schedule will help as well.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Mostly now due to the brand new pads and everything new, rocks, you will need to start a new biological cycle

Here are a couple links and you will see some great info to help you get through this time with fish in the tank.

I realize you have had the tank for 2+ years but this info is great basics for most people. It has info about the biological cycle which is priceless for keeping fish well. Has links also for more good info.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

This one for the fish in cycle.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

You will need to be actively involved in changing the water frequently based on liquid test results. Do you have a set for testing water with liquid tests, like API Master Kit?

The bioboost is supposed to get that process going. I used it in my tank to keep a good cycle before. I just had to start brand new because my algae infestation was so bad I just could never get rid of it. It was everywhere. Thanks for the links! I could always use new info.

Mostly now due to the brand new pads and everything new, rocks, you will need to start a new biological cycle

Here are a couple links and you will see some great info to help you get through this time with fish in the tank.

I realize you have had the tank for 2+ years but this info is great basics for most people. It has info about the biological cycle which is priceless for keeping fish well. Has links also for more good info.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

This one for the fish in cycle.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

You will need to be actively involved in changing the water frequently based on liquid test results. Do you have a set for testing water with liquid tests, like API Master Kit?

Also the Algae fix might be harmful to fish (even though it says it is safe) It is harmful to shell fish and I would be worried about the snail - and the BB (beneficial bacteria) will not be able to colonize.

You should do some pwc (partial water changes) to get it out right away. Cory cats are sensitive to additives too!!!

The active ingredient is
Poly[oxyethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]

Last edited:
My Cory has been a super tough cookie. He is around two years old. My snail has been at the top of the tank with it's head outside of the water. But it had a shell full of algae. I'll do some research on my algae stuff. I just figured the snail was acting funky cause of the cycle change. It came in after my tank had been cycled about a year.

Also the Algae fix might be harmful to fish (even though it says it is safe) It is harmful to shell fish and I would be worried about the snail - and the BB (beneficial bacteria) will not be able to colonize.

You should do some pwc (partial water changes) to get it out right away. Cory cats are sensitive to additives too!!!

I just found an article that says it is toxic to invertebrates. My poor snail. Can you have a tank or like beta tank that a snail alone can live in by itself?

Here is the data sheet info that states it is toxic to fish. Page 2. And an irritant to skin.

"This product is toxic to fish. It should not be directly discharged into lakes ponds, streams, waterways or public water supplies."

http://win14.american.edu/safety/au/vault/000/000395.PDF

The algaefix will kill the bacteria in the bio boost. You have only a little amount of fish in a decent amount of water, which is positive so you would easily be able to do a fish in cycle.

You should need to figure out what is the cause of the algae and then we would help you with the problem - some things I mentioned - light, excess food or type of food and lack of enough pwc.

I have no idea what caused the algae. I fed only a little once a day. They have pellets. I also was bad about the filter pads. I rarely cleaned or replaced them. I had a hard time remembering due to my memory loss. So I think that majorly contributed. I won't use the algaefix now unless I have algae. Giving that I have roughly 3" of fish in 20gal I think that is keeping down the ammonia level. It has been pretty stable.

Oh I got both a bubble wall and an air stone for aeration. Neither one are really releasing bubbles. I read that aeration helps speed up the cycle. Is there possibly something wrong with my pump? I try to always have good aeration in my tank. Plus my fish love the bubbles.

The algaefix will kill the bacteria in the bio boost. You have only a little amount of fish in a decent amount of water, which is positive so you would easily be able to do a fish in cycle.

You should need to figure out what is the cause of the algae and then we would help you with the problem - some things I mentioned - light, excess food or type of food and lack of enough pwc.

Filter pads should not be thrown away until they are falling apart. That means use the same ones for months if not years. That is the place where the most BB lives.

There is a huge amount of info to look through and learn about from the links.

I would do about 2 - 50% pwc back to back. Then the next day do 2 more 50% b2b pwc to get that Algaefix out of the tank as quick as you can, then maybe another 2 50% pwc the next day to feel more comfortable.

I would also change the filter pads to new clean ones after all the pwc, and add a pouch of activated charcoal to help remove it. Leave it in for a couple of weeks remove and throw it out and add a new pouch of activated charcoal and again throw out after a couple weeks.

I have aqueon filters. The cartridges do not open. The tank is too high for me to do wcs. I have no one to help me. So hopefully my snail will make it through again. I have used it before with the snail in the tank and it did fine. I'll remember that about the cartridges. So when I need to rinse, should I just get a large bowl and treat the water then swish them?

Filter pads should not be thrown away until they are falling apart. That means use the same ones for months if not years. That is the place where the most BB lives.

There is a huge amount of info to look through and learn about from the links.

I would do about 2 - 50% pwc back to back. Then the next day do 2 more 50% b2b pwc to get that Algaefix out of the tank as quick as you can, then maybe another 2 50% pwc the next day to feel more comfortable.

I would also change the filter pads to new clean ones after all the pwc, and add a pouch of activated charcoal to help remove it. Leave it in for a couple of weeks remove and throw it out and add a new pouch of activated charcoal and again throw out after a couple weeks.

Yes gently swish them.

You can get a pump and tubing and get water out, then use a python water changer to put the water back in. You could use an adapter for the Python or Aqueon water changer to make things easier for water out and water in with the same tubing and the kitchen faucet.

You can watch some you tube videos to see if something like that might work for you and make things easier. Or go directly to Python or Aqueon for a video.

Aqueon » Aquarium Water Changer | Products

There is a video link at the top
Python Products Inc. Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks. I'll hit up Aqueon for a video.

Yes gently swish them.

You can get a pump and tubing and get water out, then use a python water changer to put the water back in. You could use an adapter for the Python or Aqueon water changer to make things easier for water out and water in with the same tubing and the kitchen faucet.

You can watch some you tube videos to see if something like that might work for you and make things easier. Or go directly to Python or Aqueon for a video.

Aqueon » Aquarium Water Changer | Products

There is a video link at the top
Python Products Inc. Frequently Asked Questions

Back
Top Bottom