Tank set-up for bichirs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I checked the calculator and it said the tank I thought to be 150g for years is actually a 140g. Anyways, this is the tank I am using for my future bichirs. I plan to only fill it up to about 100g so the bichirs can reach the surface easily and the african butterfly fish I also plan to get will have ample room between top of the water and glass lid.

I am deciding still between the senegal bichir and the ornate bichir. Which one tollerates its own species best? How many of them can I put in a 140g that has only 100g water? 4-6 (fullgrown bichirs)? I plan to keep about 4 african butterfly fish.

From my research, bichirs do well on sand substrate, but may uproot plants... Is it still possible to keep plants with them or will it be just one big mess? I know the african butterfly fish will feel safer with some surface plants and I always like how planted tanks look. Also, caresheets seem to say bichirs come from vegetation choked waters...

Oh, that brings me to filtration. I guess I need a canister filter. Any recommendations on what I should buy? I used to have a Fluval (spelling?) 404, but it is missing alot of parts...

Mothi said:
I am deciding still between the senegal bichir and the ornate bichir. Which one tollerates its own species best?

In my experience, both equally so.

How many of them can I put in a 140g that has only 100g water? 4-6 (fullgrown bichirs)?

4-6 senegals, certainly, but only about 2 ornates (these are eventual 24"-26" fish).

I plan to keep about 4 african butterfly fish.

If you try with with ornates, make sure that the butterflies are large adults...ornates are not to be trusted with anything that looks potentially small enough to eat.

From my research, bichirs do well on sand substrate, but may uproot plants... Is it still possible to keep plants with them or will it be just one big mess?

Sure...anchored plants such as Anubias species work very well in bichir tanks.

Oh, that brings me to filtration. I guess I need a canister filter. Any recommendations on what I should buy? I used to have a Fluval (spelling?) 404, but it is missing alot of parts...

It doesn't have to be a canister (I have AquaClear HOBs on several onf my bichir tanks), but it would probably be the best bet...that or a wet/dry. If you go with a canister, buy an Eheim (I prefer the 'classic canister' series)....it will never disappoint you, can handle some serious bioloads, and will run practically forever.

I agree with everything Toirtis has mentioned. I would like to point out that I do not use sand as a substrate...though others have done it successfully. I prefer smaller-grained gravels or specialized substrates like Eco-Complete.

Is there a reason you prefer smaller grained gravels or EcoComplete vs sand? Just curious why.

I thought ornates grew about 18"? So 4 ornates is too many then?

Mothi said:
I thought ornates grew about 18"? So 4 ornates is too many then?

I have 2 that are over 20" now...expect at least that. Four mature ornates would be crowded in a 140, especially one of typical dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom