Tank stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank stocking question (with rcs + otos)

Holy, it's been a long time since my last post. Just been lurking on here for the past year or so :p. I need some help now though....

I have 2 planted 20g longs. I managed somehow to acclimate 10 otocinclus into each tank without losing any (it's been a week, so I will keep my fingers crossed that I got a really good batch) anyways, I plan to add some red cherry shrimp.

Considering the only other creatures in either 20g are the otos and a few snails. (Acute bladder snails) ...
Would 20 rcs in each tank be too much?

Shrimp all have next to no bioload. Those 20 are going to start reproducing really quick, and before you know it you'll have a lot more than 20. You can have a lot in a 20 long, so I honestly wouldn't worry about the bioload. It's pretty low already. Not sure on ottos though and what they're bioload is.

Even before I got the otos I did a 20% wc every 3 days and gravel vac'd every 2nd wc. I also let my plants and my snails start to thrive for 2 months before adding a single fish (not sure how I held out so long lol) .. But yea, for their first week in my tank, I've continued the same wc schedule without any issues

I'm worried the future red cherry shrimp might be affected however?

I understand the otos poop a lot. Just curious to know other people's wc schedules for otos/rcs combination tanks.

Shrimp all have next to no bioload. Those 20 are going to start reproducing really quick, and before you know it you'll have a lot more than 20. You can have a lot in a 20 long, so I honestly wouldn't worry about the bioload. It's pretty low already. Not sure on ottos though and what they're bioload is.

That is definitely a confidence booster lol

Otos are actually quite clean IME compared to Plecos. I did weekly changes and kept Otos in my 10g Shrimp tank. They thrived and so did my Shrimp.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459754643.497694.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

otos are small to and don't have much bio load, and if you are doing water changes, have good filtration and because you have plants they will be fine. just be sure to get rid of some of the babys once they are large enough.

Back
Top Bottom