Tank upgrade/cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an established 10 gallon. I've been doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia in my 29 gallon. I want the 29 to be a cichlid tank, but decided to move my guppies and mollies (2 each) into the 29g and not use the 10g for now. So my question is, what do I have to do to transfer everything to the 29g? By everything I mean the fish and filter lol. The gravel and plastic decor I don't need in my larger tank. The readings on the 29g are kind of odd:

Ph: 8.2 (normal for Indianapolis)
Amm: 8.0 (added a bit too much yesterday which I think made it spike!)
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

What should I do to bring down the ammonia level? Can I lower the water in the 29g and add the water to it from the 10 gallon?

So you want to add the fish and the filter from the 10 to the 29?
Do a 100% PWC on the 29. Refill with dechlorinated water and check (after half hour or so) that there is no more ammonia. If there is do another 100% pwc. Move the filter from the 10 to the 29 and run it next to the 29s filter. Catch your fish and slowly acclimate them to the 29. check for mini cycles over the next few weeks and do PWC as needed.

Mumma.of.two said:
So you want to add the fish and the filter from the 10 to the 29?
Do a 100% PWC on the 29. Refill with dechlorinated water and check (after half hour or so) that there is no more ammonia. If there is do another 100% pwc. Move the filter from the 10 to the 29 and run it next to the 29s filter. Catch your fish and slowly acclimate them to the 29. check for mini cycles over the next few weeks and do PWC as needed.

Yeah, just the filter and fish. The gravel is a nasty tan color. Ok, so, 100% water change in the 29, refill it and add Prime. Check after 30-60 minutes and if the readings are all normal, transfer filter and fish and discard 10g water. If readings aren't good, 100% WC again?
How do I slowly acclimate my fish without just transferring? Let them swim in the fishnet for 5-10 min one by one?

On a side note, I bought a bigger vacuum. When I clean the gravel and do PWC, should I remove my fish? I do now in the 10g just because its small and may add stress more quickly. My ghost shrimp I don't worry about. Too hard to catch and they run away anyway. But will the bigger vacuum suck them up now? Lol

Ceej said:
Yeah, just the filter and fish. The gravel is a nasty tan color. Ok, so, 100% water change in the 29, refill it and add Prime. Check after 30-60 minutes and if the readings are all normal, transfer filter and fish and discard 10g water. If readings aren't good, 100% WC again?
How do I slowly acclimate my fish without just transferring? Let them swim in the fishnet for 5-10 min one by one?

If there are any ammonia or nitrite then, yes, 100% to remove them all.
The best way to acclimatize fish is to drip acclimate them. There are videos on YouTube how to do this. :)

Ceej said:
On a side note, I bought a bigger vacuum. When I clean the gravel and do PWC, should I remove my fish? I do now in the 10g just because its small and may add stress more quickly. My ghost shrimp I don't worry about. Too hard to catch and they run away anyway. But will the bigger vacuum suck them up now? Lol

No need to remove your fish. They are fine to stay in the tank during a PWC. They might freak out in the beginning but will get use to it.
The bigger vac may suck them up so just be careful.

You're a life saver. Thank you! =]

Ammonia on the 29g is .25 or a little less. Has a light green tint. Nitrites are 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrates are 0, and Ph is 7.8-8.0 which is lower than normal. I did another 100% water change and these are the readings. Should I wait til the morning to check the parameters again before transferring the fish and shrimp?

Ceej said:
Ammonia on the 29g is .25 or a little less. Has a light green tint. Nitrites are 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrates are 0, and Ph is 7.8-8.0 which is lower than normal. I did another 100% water change and these are the readings. Should I wait til the morning to check the parameters again before transferring the fish and shrimp?

If your still seeing nitrites or ammonia, yes do another 100%. You don't want to put your fish into potentially toxic water.

Mumma.of.two said:
If your still seeing nitrites or ammonia, yes do another 100%. You don't want to put your fish into potentially toxic water.
Did roughly a 65-75% water change. Getting tired if carrying that 5 gallon bucket around! Refilled and added half cap full of prime. Hopefully things look good in the morning. If so, my next reply will be pictures!

0 ammonia, 0-5ppm nitrate, and 1-2ppm nitrite. I was thinking once I put the established filter on next to my AC 50, it should help with balancing it out. Or if I add aquarium salt. What do you suggest?

Ceej said:
0 ammonia, 0-5ppm nitrate, and 1-2ppm nitrite. I was thinking once I put the established filter on next to my AC 50, it should help with balancing it out. Or if I add aquarium salt. What do you suggest?

You could try half the media from the established filter in the AC50 for a day but honestly the best way to keep removing the nitrites is PWC. Maybe try both. I wouldn't put fish in there with nitrites over 0.25 maybe .50ppm.

Mumma.of.two said:
You could try half the media from the established filter in the AC50 for a day but honestly the best way to keep removing the nitrites is PWC. Maybe try both. I wouldn't put fish in there with nitrites over 0.25 maybe .50ppm.

All is good now =]

Back
Top Bottom