Tapwater directly to tank bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally never add my water direct to the tank. I treat what I add, let it sit a few and then add it to tank. I have read and heard that if you add it directly to the tank you must treat for whole tank. In fact it says to do so on the instruction of Prime by seachem. I am no scientist just passing on what I'd heard and read.

I too have read that you should treat the entire tank. It said it on the bottle of dechlor that we use.

Does it say *why* to do that? I'm just curious as to why it makes a difference as to *how* you add the water...

My bottle of Bio-Safe says "do not overdose" and "recommended for water changes of 50% or more." I made a math error, and double dosed (based on the change volume not the tank volume) over a few weeks (say 10+ changes) and noticed my pH declining. Finding this puzzling, I emailed the company. The dechlorinator is an acid, so they thought it could contribute to a pH decline if overused, but pointed out that they thought my 0.6 pH decline (7.8 to 7.2) was not significant or could be test kit error, so would not give the product the credit for the pH change.

When asked why the bottle said for 50% changes or more, they replied that it could be used for less (of course!). But the Doctor quoted on the bottle only endorsed it for larger changes. I have heard of people who don't worry about chlorine with 20 % changes. My tap water reeks of chlorine, so I aerate it. Takes about 24 - 30 hours to stop smelling of it. I don't use the conditioner when I get to aerate the chlorine out of the water first.

so, I still don't know an answer to how much conditioner to use when pythoning right back into the tank! Using a holding tank to prep water sure has its advantages.

my thoughts are it's so they can cover their rears. Just incase someone added directly to tank and had fish loss they could claim the dose was incorrect. Maybe ... I have no idea. Again I use seachem prime. It suggests adding to new water first, letting it sit and then adding to tank. If adding direct dose for total tank volume.

I don't know which is right (treat whole tank or just what you put in), but I have killed fish by not dosing or dosing wrong. I've been changing water for the last couple months treating enough for the entire tank with no problems. Unlike the Bio brand, there are no warnings on over/under treatment. The fish and tank appear quite healthy as well as the plant life.

I won't say either is right or wrong - merely what's worked and not worked for me (a novice).

My tank changes are between 10-20% weekly.

I only added tap water directly to the tank once. I added some aquasafe as it was going in, then after it was full I added a little more than the amount of aquasafe suggested for the amount of gals put in. Even though I haven't lost any fish from this I'm scared to do it again for some reason. I put the tap water into a bucket, add the dechlor, stir a little then put it in the tank. I feel it's much safer doing it this way.

im going to be honest...

i do it all the time with my 55 gal cichlid tank... I add amquel or aquasafe before doing so.

I use my same hose (my homemade python) I've yet to have any problems.. i guess it just depends on your area

I also just pour in the water and add dechlor as it is being pumped into the tank. Never had a problem yet.

Unfortunatly, I can't directly add water. So when I'm doing my weekly 50% water changes on my 20 and 75, I just add the declor to my change bucket.

...boy, I carry alot of water :lol:

That is a HUGE water change. You shouldn't be doing over 20% weekly unless you have a heavily stocked tank.

Hooie said:
...boy, I carry alot of water :lol:
Heh, I know how you feel. I do have one more tank than you though. :? I recently got a "Ultimate GravelVac" (knock-off Python) which I will be using more often though. Especially for gravel vacs on my 75 gal and putting tap water into the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom