Techniques on changing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just curious about something. How does everyone around here do water changes in thier tanks. The way I do is just dip it out with a cup into a bucket. Then put tap water into the bucket, detox that water then pour it into the tank. I was wondering if I could take water out of the tank and pour reg. tap water directly into the tank then add the detox. Just curious if that would hurt the fish.

:morning:

I do water changes in a coupla different ways as I have a some diff types of tanks.

In my 10g planted I use a small siphon. I vacuum up the detritus laying on top of the sand, and usually pull out about 2 gallons (20%). I use 2 clean plastic gallon containers; fill them with tap water that matches tank temp and add some dechlorinator/dechloraminator (I still dunno if that last one is a real word LOL). And then pour it in.

For my 55g, I could spend hours dragging around buckets, so I got a Python. Its a hose system you hook up to the sink faucet; you can gravel vac/remove water AND add water with it. I gravel vac the bottom of the 55g really well; it has gravel and lots of plec poo LOL so I really dig into it. In that tank I remove about 30%. When I'm done gravel vaccing/removing water, I match the tap water temps to the tank, and switch the Python to fill. I add the dechlor right into the tank as the tap water is pouring in.

I've never had a problem with either way. IMHO, as long as you are adding the dechlor along with the tap water it should be fine. Dechlors work instantly, and I doubt the chlorine/chloramine would be in the tank long enough to affect the bacterial colonies.

I would suggest you look into a siphon; by just pulling water out with a cup, you are not getting the rotting food/fish poo out of the bottom of the tank. As that builds up, it may cause ammonia spikes. As long as your tank is cycled, gravel vaccing half the tank at each water change shouldn't be an issue.

Btw, what kinda tank and fish?

I treat the water, then add it to the tank. I let the water sit for a bit before putting the water into the tank as well to make sure everything stabilizes and mixes (I put salt in the water). Probably does not matter like Allivymar says, due to the nature of how the dechlor works.

I use a siphon/gravel vac to get about 20% of the water out of my tank into a bucket, then add the new water with a pitcher. I only use the pitcher for fish water so it is always clean and ready to go.

For my 10 gal and my 55 gal I change 50% of the water weekly. I have a Python, and I don't think I would do water changes without it...dang I'm lazy. On my Betta's 2.5 tank, I get the Bettas out with a little cup and they hang out in wine glasses until I'm finished siphoning their tank. I can't use the Python on theirs, because the spigot on my kitchen sink is super weird. So for theirs I use a plain old traditional one and I hate it because I have to try 2 or 3 times to get the siphon going initially. In my 55 gal I have all live plants, so I just siphon what I can reach without disturbing the plants. In the 10 gal, I do half, and in the 2.5 gal I do one side at a time since it's divided for my killers...I add the water straight from the tap into all 3 tanks. My freaky spigot reaches over to the Betta's tank so I fill it up that way. I add the dechlor to the water right before I add new water. This works every time. I also add plant fertilizer at this time into both the 55 gal and the 2.5 gal as they both have live plants. HTH

LOL They get to hang in wine glasses during water changes; I love it!! You have GOT to get a hold of a camera Punky; you have things going on over there I HAVE to see LOL

I want to see pics of the Bettas in Wine Glasses to, I put mine in the plastic cup I bought them in. I've gotta 10 gallon tank that's way overloaded it's a miracle I haven't lost any fish. I didn't know what I was doing of course. The tank consist of 1 gold fish(that grew 4 inches in 5 months), 4 neon Tetras, 3 black skirt tetras, 1 Cory Dora, 1 African Dwarf Frog. The gold fish is actaully coming out today. A guy a the LFS actaully has a huge outdoor pond that says he'll take him, so I'm bringing him tonight. Glad I've found a good home for him. After that I'm going to take the African Dwarf Frog to a tank at the office I work at. That should balance things out a little. Meanwhile I change out 25% of my water twice a week and it seems to be working.

:morning:

LOL...I got people who wanna see my Skunk Loaches and my Bettas in wine glasses...what else was there? I have to make a list so that when I get ahold of my digital camera I can start clicking. LOL

Back
Top Bottom