Terra Cotta Pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Have a 20G aquarium with platies and guppies and I was wondering if terra cotta flowers pots are safe for my fish? I have read online that they don't effect water chemistry but I have also read the opposite.

I have seen several people using them in their tanks, but, I'm still a newbie at this so someone else might have a more definitive answer.

Aces11 said:
They won't alter the pH or anything?

Calcium alter the Ph for a higher result not clay pots. Your good to go. Just make sure you soak the pots before making cuts on them

o.jonathan.o said:
Calcium alter the Ph for a higher result not clay pots. Your good to go. Just make sure you soak the pots before making cuts on them

No I don't plan on breaking them. I just want to put them in the tank as is

Your good to go. As an extra precaution you can still soak it to get the dust off of it or just make sure its clean

Thanks for asking this question, I was curious about this too! So I guess the ones sold at craft stores like Michael's are OK as long as they aren't glazed (and how can you tell)? And a good wash in hot water would be enough? Just want to triple check. :D

librarygirl said:
Thanks for asking this question, I was curious about this too! So I guess the ones sold at craft stores like Michael's are OK as long as they aren't glazed (and how can you tell)? And a good wash in hot water would be enough? Just want to triple check. :D

Yeah your right just not the painted ones

Ya I got mine at walmart and they don't seem glazed. In fact I'm pretty sure they're not. I wanted to make sure they don't alter ph or hardness or any other level of nutrients or anything

jetajockey said:
I got mine from lowes or home depot. I use both saucers and pots, no problem.

video of the pots in action

Cool video. Love the natural look with the pots

NOW you tell me, tried to "cut" mine and now have 2 half caves :whistle:

Demonknight said:
NOW you tell me, tried to "cut" mine and now have 2 half caves :whistle:

Sorry its clay and pretty thin so I guess you know now ha for next time.. soak abouth 15 to 24 hours before making any cuts

Just did u pwc and put the flower pots in. Hope my fishies enjoy them!

Attachments

• image-1492071577.jpg
    image-1492071577.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,457
My sunburst wag platy exploring a pot

Attachments

• image-3903630745.jpg
    image-3903630745.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom