Test readings GH/KH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! If you've read my other posts you'll know that I'm trying to get a neglected 28 gal tank back in order. I bought an api master test kit (liquid, not strips) and have been testing the water daily to figure out what's going on with my tank. There are currently 3 fish in the tank while this is happening. Two days ago, my ammonia level was very high so I did a 80-90% water change. Yesterday, I tested the water and got these results:

pH:7.6
NO2: 1.5ppm
NO3: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
KH: 30ppm
GH:45ppm

I did another 50% water change last night after the test and just did another test today. Results are:

pH: 7.2
NO2: 1ppm
NO3: 30ppm
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
KH: 0ppm
GH:30ppm

I'm a little concerned that the nitrates spiked again. I know the tank is still cycling but is this normal. Also, I'm confused as to why the KH and GH changed so much. Those tests were the only one where I had to use the strips since there was no liquid test. Truthfully, I'm not even sure what KH and GH mean, all I know is that they're not at the recommended levels of 80-120ppm(KH) and 60-120ppm(GH). I was told to continue with daily water changes of 50% while the tank is cycling. Should I keep this up or just leave it alone for now?

Please I need more info on the test results (see first post). I need to know whether to continue with daily pwc or to leave it alone for now.

I have GH/KH <1* from my faucet. I added 3 slightly heaped tablespoons of crushed (not powdered!) dolomite in a mesh bag to my filter. Both are now at ~2* and my pH is stable. It was my experience that having very soft and acidic water made cycling a challenge. I saw results from the dolomite in a few days for my 20g aquarium.

I can't say I would recommend baking soda to maintain your parameters unless you are quite experienced and know what you're doing. That stuff can make what was previously a stable tank quite unstable. You're better off with crushed coral in the filter which will alter your parameters in a less drastic way IMO

I also have a ridiculously low KH and PH readings out of my tap. I also have CO2 and DW and other things I know affect the PH. But even so, I don't worry too much about changing things b/c my fish are happy and healthy. (At least they look like they are).

When it comes to hardness and Ph, unless you are creating conditions for breeding, consider accepting what your tap delivers you. Most fish do surprisingly well in conditions 'the book' says aren't recommended. Where in reality, stable parameters are far more important than 'recommended' parameters.

Please I need more info on the test results (see first post). I need to know whether to continue with daily pwc or to leave it alone for now.

If your nitrites is over 0.25, you do daily pwc's!

I might also question the accuracy of your GH & KH tests. First, KH don't usually disappear like that to zero overnight. Second, pH of 7.6 usually does not corresponds to 30 ppm of KH or GH. You might want to double check your results. <Best to get a water report from your water co. - mine post that on line - and see what GH & KH readings they have. To read a professional water report - GH is Ca & Mg levels or total hardness. KH is listed as either carbonate levels, temporary hardness, or alkalinity.>

Also test your tap water - both immediately & after sitting out for 24 hrs. You want a lot of info before doctoring your water. And if you truly have soft water, then crushed coral/limestone/shells are much easier to use than other methods for beginners.

Back
Top Bottom