tetra stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon, heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood that currently houses 3 adult mollies, a few babies, 2 guppies I have not managed to catch yet, and 7 neon tetras. I am removing all but the three adult mollies and upping the tetras to 10. I was wondering if I could add some other type of tetra. I am looking at rummy nose or glow light tetras. Do most tetras get along? What type of bottom dweller would work?

Tank specs are

29 gallons set up over 2 years ago, 3 spiral CFL lights, two filters-Whisper 40 and Aquaclear 50, temp 77-80 depending on if lights are on. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, PH 7.4. DIY CO2, black sand substrate.

Most tetras get along time, although some like serpaes and black skirts can be nippy. Rummynose or glow lights would work well in your tank, as would lemon, diamond, and many others. Some other non-tetra schooling fish that you could look into are harlequin rasboras, furcata rainbows, threadfin rainbows, pentazona barbs, cherry barbs, checker barbs, and beckford pencilfish. Cories are always fun bottom dwellers, as are kuhli loaches, rosy loaches, or dwarf chain loaches.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have never heard of some of those fish. I am making a list of your suggestions so I can check them out. Hopefully Petsmart has some of them. I might get lucky and find some at my local petstore when I take my baby mollies in.

Back
Top Bottom