The ideal petstore/LFS....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurpleSmurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What would it look like, what animals / fish would be in stock, what would the tank setup be like, what would the floor plan be like, etc.?

I know it's silly, but I'm begining to plan and research what a really, really good petshop would be like. :read: So post what you think would make for a great experience and what pet peves you have about most LFS's.

Sorry for the brevity, I'm tired and that kills my cohereance. I'll post details of what I have planned later.

lots of dwarf cichlids in stock. Someone who knows the names of the fish they sell rather than just having a tank of "assorted africans." Care sheet on each individual fish sold specifying scientific name, common names, ultimate size, min tank size req full grown, behavior, compatibility, and diet. Cool setups so that the lizards and frogs and whatnot are in tanks that resemble what an ideal setup would be in your home. And most importantly experts that know what they are talking about vs minimum wage paid teens. And an absence of ridiculous fish like pacu. They could be offered as a special order fish or something but definitely not a tank of them. And an absence of bettas in cups with dyed water.

So far the plan is this:

It'd be a split store, one half for fish, one half for pets like dogs, cats, and birds. But we won't be selling any large animals; if you want a dog or a cat we'll have a catalouge of all the animlas being offered by local rescues and the few that we can foster in the store during the day for a few hours or contact information for reputable breeders. For the bird people, again, we would not keep any animals in the store save for two or the that would be our pets. To buy one we would put you incontact with a breeder with whom we would have a deal worked out and who's faciluties and animals we would have checked. I would also like to try and affiliate, or at least have an avian vet the store would use.

(To make a profit on rescue or breed animals, the store would do one of two things: for animals purchaed from a breeder we will extend the customer credit for vetrinary check-up from the vet we have affiliated with (around $50) for each large cage purchased ($60+). The money from this method comes from purchasing of cage accessories -- perches, toys, and food dishes all add up.

Animals who are adopted through us should make up the majority. They will cost more in-store, but less over all. Addoption fee + medical fee + leash + several toys + kennel + by bed. All adopted pets will be given with a typed up overview of general behavior, commands known, and how well it handles on a leash.)

Smaller animals like gerbils and mice, salamanders, and newts would be kept in store but would not be avaliable for sale in bulk -- ie. not as feeders. The same will run true for goldfish and minnows except for the animals that would be bred in-store with the intent of selling them as food.

The fish half of the store would be kept dimly lit (natural light through a white screen and aquarium/pond lighting only). All tanks will be moderatly planted, species only in most cases, and will contain no rocks (nothing to really block nets) and most will be chained together to make water maintainance easier -- tanks containing similar animals will will share water flow,e.g. Tank 1 (Male Guppies) -> Tank 2 (Female Guppies) -> Tank 3 (Platies) -> Tank 4 (Swordtails) -> UV Steralizer -> 200 gallon fuge (CO2, RO unit when needed, plants, crabs, snails, a few amanos, 600w PC lighting on a schedule reverse of the tanks, and heaters) -> Tank 1. Filtration won't be done by anything used by hobbists, I'll be either be purchasing several comercial filtration systems from a company similar to MarineLand or use large pond filters with a minimum GPH of 3500gph. Each string of tanks will have it's own comercial/pond filter as well as smaller biowheels on Tank 2 and 3 and heaters on Tanks 1 and 4. All tanks will have a small power head attached to RUGF to help minimize the need for gravle vaccing. With a circulation rate of about 14.25 times an hour (4 x 20gal + 200fuge / 4000) I should be able to keep higher densities of schooling/peaceful fish with few ramifications in regards to their health (maybe 30-40 2in. fish per tank).

All tanks with fish will be under 2-3wpg, tanks with livebearers will be kept at 2wpg and will grow "easy" or fry friendly plants (java moss,amazon swords, water sprite, anachris, water cabbage, etc.). The rest of the stocked tank will be kept at 3wpg and 30ppm CO2. The plant only tanks (there will be 3 of them, 55 gallons each) will be kept under 4wpg, 35ppm CO2. All tanks will be dosed with micro-nutrients and kept under moonlighting at night. This will let me grow and sell the widest variety of plants possible.

Bettas will not be sold in cups. Nor will they all simply be lyretails. I will have a betta barracks setup just next to the display tank alcove and a duplicate system in the back. Each betta will have 2 gallons of "personal" space and there will be around 50-60 bettas on diplay at a time. I plant to buy several show quality bettas (a pair of CT, SD and standard Delta, and LT) and breed them about a year before the store will open. The goal will be to have 20 bettas of each style on display at any point in time.

I will not sell any tanks smaller than 1 gallon for any reason, and people who think bettas can live in fish bowls will be several rebuked. The smallest tank avaliable for children to buy will be 5 gallons simply because they have filters and heaters. 1 gallons will be avaliable solely to betta enthusiats and breeders, or to keepers I feel are competant, but not to Mr. Johnson and his two year old son.

In the middle of the store I'm going to have a circular pond (2' deep. 8' diameter) depression excavated from the foundation. It will be built up 3' from the floor and have a bench running around it. Only 5' of the diameter will be "pond", the outer foot will be a bog garden (lillies, cat tails, ornamental grasses). The pond will beheavily planted (duck weed, water lettuce, two lily pads, several strands of hornwort kept submerged and some java moss tied to drift woo) and stocked with three rainbow trout, four bluegill, and three shubunkin.

When purchasing fish I'll be taking a page from Big Al's and ricester. A small computer will be kept by the diaplay tanks. Each customer will have to make an account and give basic personal details -- name, phone number, number of tanks, tank sizes, current tank stocking, years in the hobby -- before they can move to the next stage of selecting which fish. Each fish will have a profile in the computer (water parameters, food requirements, typical water column location, life span, price etc.), and you will have to view it before being able to purchase an animal. All purchases will be kept in the database as well as any returns, so I'll be able to keep track of whose competant and who not. I'll also be able to help people make better decisions if I know exactly what they're trying to shop for.

Sound good? I'm still working on details. I plan to have every detail drawn out by the end of college, from the floor plan, down to the plumbing of tanks, to light switch placement.

Money will be little of an object. I'm opening either a mutual fund or IRA as soon as I start college. I'll be depositing $5000 initially and then $4000 each year afterward. My girlfriend (future wife and co-owner most likely ;)) will be doing the same and after college when we're sure we're together for the long run we'll be combining our funds and yearly deposits. The petstore will not come into being for probably another fifteen or twenty years so our invesments will have time to mature and so we'll have time for careers and possibly have children, but about that time we'll have upwards of $500,000 of our own funds plus whatever loans we can secure to invest in opening a business. Hopefully this board will still be around then ;)

Last night I was thinking along a simliar line as you are. As we were planning how we were going to move our tanks to our new house, I got to thinking, I would LOVE to open my own fish store. Of course it will require a large sum of start-up money, but it is something that I love and would enjoy doing.

After reading over your plan, does $500,000 sound like enough of a start up? From your plans, it would seem like it would cost more than that to start up the store the way that you are planning. But, that also depends on where it is going. Meaning, it would cost substantially more to open in, say NYC, than Poduck. :D I hope all works out well for you.

The $500,000 we would have should be more than enough to convice a bank to loan us enough to get started (acquiring a loan of $1mil is not out of the question for an opening business venture). Land is cheap -- I've seen 20-30 acers of comercially zoned land beind sold at $20,000, and I'd only need 1 or 2 -- and with the right construction company and the willinness to do a lot of DIY (painting the walls, laying linoleum, installing trim, linining the pond, building the barracks, drilling and plumbing the fuges and tank chains, using DIY moon lights, etc.)

I could probably save myself $100,000 by getting a few friends to help me with DIY stuff.

I suspect that land prices will rise in the next 15 years, but construction prices should also plumet.

Construction prices have been on the rise as of lately, so hopefully they do decrease. The description of yuor store sounds amazing. When it gets up and going, hopefully I could see it. :D I know, it won't be for another 15 years, but if this site is still around, let us all know when it opens. It would be a good excuse to go see my uncle who live in Colorado.

PurpleSmurf....
Do you have any retail experiance, retail management? Any pet retail and or pet retail management experience? If you really want to do this I think it would be very helpfull.. :mrgreen:

I worked in Petsmart for a month. Otherwise no, but I plan to try and hold positions at several petstores over the next few year and will be minoring in business.

PurpleSmurf said:
Each customer will have to make an account and give basic personal details -- name, phone number, number of tanks, tank sizes, current tank stocking, years in the hobby -- before they can move to the next stage of selecting which fish. Each fish will have a profile in the computer (water parameters, food requirements, typical water column location, life span, price etc.), and you will have to view it before being able to purchase an animal. All purchases will be kept in the database as well as any returns, so I'll be able to keep track of whose competant and who not.

Don't get too carried away....you don't want to be known as the neighborhood fish nazi, LOL

i have also thought of having a petstore myself... ive talked to my husband about it and he likes the idea. Im still in college right now of course, but i worked in reatail for 5 years, and he's always worked in retail.

I however, not just want to do fish, i want to do dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, everything, (im actually thinking about becoming a veterinarian) How awesome would it be to go to a Pet store that's owner is a vet? Think about all the business opportunities that wuold bring.

right now im in school for Nursing, (RN) but i plan on continuing my education (im only 20) and eventually Masters and Doctorate degree in veterinary Medicine.

I guess im not the only one with big plans.

The indepth portion of the profile thing would probably be optional (I'm not going to make someone give me a list of all their fish if they want to buy some more platies or neons), but I do not think asking to know what my animals will be housed in is unreasonable. Especially since it would be a one time question, and if I can manage it, update-able online.

You may have the logistics down PurpleSmurf (i.e. light switch placement), but running your own business is quite an endeavor, whether it's a pet store, a restaurant, or a jiffy lube. It all comes down to management, training, and keeping the right people to run an operation that size and even one day expanding into a small company of your own. If I've learned anything from my experiences, it's you can't do it all on your own. These are all things I had to learn the hard way operating a business of my own at a fairly young age.....let me know if you want to learn from some of my mistakes..... :lol: :oops:

A genius learns from the mistakes of others.
A smart man learns from his own mistakes.
A stupid man learns from neither.

Back
Top Bottom