Thinking 29G, and GBR's, what else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I'm thinking I may buy a 29G tank. It will be planted.The only things I know I would like to keep is:

a pair of German Blue Rams(or 2F 1M if its OK). My PH is 8.0 I see talk about adding peat since the GBR's like it lower. Anyone have these in a higher PH? I would add the GBR's later on once the tank is grown in a little.

5 Panda Corries or Zebra Oto's.

How does this sound and what other fish if any should I have? How close to being fully stocked is this? Maybe add a small school of some type?

If I have extra RCS from my 10G then I would consider adding some to this tank even if they will all get eaten, do you think they will?

Do you think DIY CO2 would be OK for this tank? I was thinking of using this type setup to distribute
Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor - Page 2 - Do It Yourself Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the GBR's as I am looking into buying a pair myself. I've heard that some people's GBRs make quick work of any type of shrimp and others act as if they don't even exist.

I'm interested in some replies from people who currently have them. As far as stocking I was told that a 10g would house a pair (1m/1f) with some cories. You might be able to get away with your 5 otos/cories and a small school. I'm sure others will chime in.

Yes, GBRs will make very quick work of any RCS they can fit in their mouth.

As for GBRs, it's not a bad idea to start with 2F and 1M, but make sure you sex them before you get them. I had 2M and 1 F, and the 2 that paired up just beat the snot out of the 2d male constantly.

GBRs are extremely territorial when they spawn, so you'll need to take that into consideration for tankmates. I kept otos with them with no issues, but that's I attempted.

Back
Top Bottom