Thirty gallon gourami tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
any suggestions to wich kinds of gourami to get. I was going to do convicts but learned how fast they bred. I am also worried about dwarf gourami disease as it killed a lot of my fish before

I read a report a couple months ago that talked about dwarf gourami disease which is actually a viral infection. Long story short it stated 23% of imported dwarf gourami from Asian breeding farms are infected and that the only fish species so far that is actually known to be able to contract this virus was a species of cod. Personally I feel while it is important to be aware of this issue it's getting blown alittle out of proportion. But thats just my opinion. Also there are a ton of bacterial/fungal/parasitic that can wipe out stock. I keep dwarf gourami and have never had issues. This is the reason fish need to be quarantined before being added to exsisting stock.

In a 30g tank keeping multiple gouramis is a disaster waiting to happen. Often in the beginning when gourami's are young they are much more docile and usually get along but as they mature real aggression issues can surface. You could do a pair of Pearls and there is one species that I can't think of for the life of me right now is actually suitable for keeping in groups.

My favorite is blue gourami and dwarfs. Pearls , kissing gourami, and opalines are also in my interest zone.

The only reason I'm worried about the disease is that last time I had a dwarf he got sick and mysteriously my 25$ angelfish died.

Also I love honey gouramis

$25 angelfish? That's alot of money for an angel! The most expensive is 15 around here, 5 for normal ones. I'd reccomnend a pearl gourami, they color up nicely!!! In this tank I reccomnend 1 gourami, unless you get honeys you can get a few. So is say
1 pearl gourami
6 Cory cats
6 cardinal tetras
6 thread fin rainbow fish
3 otos

Sorry but I'm really not looking for all those little fish right now

I had a 30g with 1 each of opaline, gold, three spotted, moonlight, and platinum. They coexisted very well for well over 3 years. They will nip at each other and act like they want too fight but then just back off. Gourami are very individualized. I always watch them at the fish store for at least 5 mins and figure out which one was most docile. It worked great for me.

It makes me so incredibly happy to hear that I think I'm gunna do the same and I always spend at least 20-25 mins staring at the fish in the stores

Another trick/tip for gourami is to keep a part of the tank shaded. Maybe floating plants or just a piece of cardboard on the top of the tank. They like shade spots. Also for aggression/fighting if you put tall plants or driftwood to break up the line of site from one side of the tank to the other. Good luck

Well I'm thinking of one opalines 1 blue/ three spotted 1 platinum 1 platinum

Switch out a few maybe maybe not idk but I really want only gouramis maybe a Pleco or some Otos to

I had a 30g with 1 each of opaline, gold, three spotted, moonlight, and platinum. They coexisted very well for well over 3 years. They will nip at each other and act like they want too fight but then just back off. Gourami are very individualized. I always watch them at the fish store for at least 5 mins and figure out which one was most docile. It worked great for me.

I really would not advise this to this person. That's 5 large Gouramis in a 30g tank. I just think it isn't going to work :L

I really would not advise this to this person. That's 5 large Gouramis in a 30g tank. I just think it isn't going to work :L

Actually I'm only going to have3 large
I might get a few honey but I think I'll be fine

Prob just a blue a opaline and a platinum

Honestly if they give me problems I just take one back. In gunna try it ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes dont worry I won't let em kill each other

I wouldn't recommend what you are trying to do. Gouramis do much better if they are the only one of their kind in a tank. Even if they do well together for a while it usually ends up bad, REALLY bad. The only gouramis I have had luck keeping together are pink kissers, they actually enjoy each others company and will school together. If you really have your heart set on a bunch of gouramis (different) you REALLY need to make sure there is no males involved!

I was actually just now reading about how to sex them
Also I might end up changing my mind again and get none soo.... Yeah I would never do something reckless

Back
Top Bottom