This isn't a Rasbora...is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went into petco today, and I saw they had a fish separted in a tank. I asked what it was, and they said it was a baby sissortail rasbora, and they separated it so it wouldnt get eaten. As you can see in the pictures, it looks nothing like the rasbora. Its color, lateral line color and placement, its fin shapes, all are different. So, I bought it, hoping that it was worth more than the 1.79 i paid, and cuz it looks cool. I think it is a chub? minnow, but i am not sure. Any help with care or id would be appreciated! sorry about the quality, he is just too fast to get a good picture of!

It's definitley doesn't look like a scissortail I can tell you that, not with the red tail and the finnage....

Looks like a minnow, but I have no idea :roll:

I'm on it! :D What you've got there is Lucania goodei, a native North American fish also called the Bluefin Killifish from southern Florida. Reaches about 5cm in length (2 inches) and prefers a well-planted, room temperature aquarium. A lot of times these little gems will only eat live food....try Daphnia, bloodworms or live brine shrimp. If you're lucky you'll be able to get them onto frozen foods over time.

Edited to correct typo....aaaarrrrrgh!!!!

Thank you frutibat! I wish i could get more, but that was the only one they had. Right now he is in my 29 community (neons, harlequins, ottos, baby kribs, and a golden wonder killi) , should he be okay with them? Right now he is chillin with the neons, and looks healthy. TIA! thanks again fruitbat!

Always a pleasure to help, fishstixs05. He shouldn't be a problem in with the fish you've got though the 'kribensis' might cause problems as they get older. Lucania goodei does prefer slightly cooler water than the tropicals but considering it is from the Everglades it should be able to adapt. They sure are gorgeous fish when they're in color!! Too bad you couldn't find any more of them.

I am in by know means doubting you Fruitbat..
but I had two fish that looked ezakly like that and I was told they were brilliant rasboras

So now im wondering what I had!

well liquidphyre, at least your LRS called them something they actually looked like "Harlequin Rasboras" ::shakes head in disgust and wonderment:: Now if only they could mix a few cardinals in with the neons...
Anyone else here get a good fish deal like this off a dumb store?

I checked the two links- mine is a Brilliant Rasbora! From the pictures posted they look similiar until you see their fins and what not. I see the difference now! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom