Tiger Barb question... too many in a 29 gallon????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello and thanks for reading.. I currently have a 29 gallon tank..I am actually looking to get a 60 gallon next spring, but for now i have a 29 gallon...I have some experience with keeping fish but wont say im an expert. I have had this setup now for about 10 years.
My current setup has a aquaclear 70 filter..i also have an bubble wand in the back to give some movement. I do a 50% PWC once per week... I currently have 14 or 15 tigerbarbs(I cant seem to keep count as they too fast,lol) They have been established in my tank for about 1 year now..i love the tiger barbs.. i also have two Nerite snails in the tank. I would like to add 5 more barbs to this setup..that would give me a total of 19-20 barbs. Do you think this is doable with my setup and with my 50% weekly pwc? according to aqadvisor(not sure if this board recommends that site or not) but according to them I would have no issues with this setup.
Now assuming i can do this, do tiger barbs normally take to adding new barbs to there school? will the new barbs usually school right with them? i love the action that the barbs give... i was thinking of adding some cory cats to liven up the bottom a bit, but i have never really liked corys... im not a cory cat person.. so im thinking that adding 5 more barbs might just liven it up just a bit more for me......
i am a stickler for water changes and parameters.....thanks again...

hello and thanks for reading.. I currently have a 29 gallon tank..I am actually looking to get a 60 gallon next spring, but for now i have a 29 gallon...I have some experience with keeping fish but wont say im an expert. I have had this setup now for about 10 years.

My current setup has a aquaclear 70 filter..i also have an bubble wand in the back to give some movement. I do a 50% PWC once per week... I currently have 14 or 15 tigerbarbs(I cant seem to keep count as they too fast,lol) They have been established in my tank for about 1 year now..i love the tiger barbs.. i also have two Nerite snails in the tank. I would like to add 5 more barbs to this setup..that would give me a total of 19-20 barbs. Do you think this is doable with my setup and with my 50% weekly pwc? according to aqadvisor(not sure if this board recommends that site or not) but according to them I would have no issues with this setup.

Now assuming i can do this, do tiger barbs normally take to adding new barbs to there school? will the new barbs usually school right with them? i love the action that the barbs give... i was thinking of adding some cory cats to liven up the bottom a bit, but i have never really liked corys... im not a cory cat person.. so im thinking that adding 5 more barbs might just liven it up just a bit more for me......

i am a stickler for water changes and parameters.....thanks again...

Well I personally wouldn't add any more Tigers until you upgrade. In the 60 gallon 20 Tigers would look awesome so I say keep it where it's at now and just wait till the 60. And to answer your other question, yes Tigers (mostly) will accept other Tigers into their school. I know when I added a cluster more to my school of 10 the new guys just instantly went to the original school and they're all fine. They couldn't care less about the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are all these tigers the same color morph. Or do you have green and albino ones too. I'm just interested because I love tigers and want to set up a SE Asia biotope full of them.

First off... Yankees bleep;) secondly I'm not sure how an established crew would take to new comers?? Be like me and my friends walking into your house during game 7 of the series hahah.. are we chill? Are we Beantown bozos?!?! Who knows? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I have a small school and one got fungus and past away (RIP my friend). Anyways I went an bout a new one and let's say they were schooling as if old friends as soon as I added him. All fish are different though so it's not a guarantee that they will get along.

If you want to liven up the bottom and aren't into cories, khuli loaches are pretty awesome. I'm finding them to be more fun than cories at this point and hardier too.

Back
Top Bottom