Tiger barbs picking on gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had three tiger barbs with a dwarf gourami in a 30 gallon tank for a while now with no problems. Just today the barbs started picking on all the fish in the tank including a dwarf gourami some platys and a few tetras. Will they keep picking on the fish, or is this a temporary thing they do from time to time. They haven't done any damage yet.

I've read that Tiger-Barbs play these chasing games with each other and if their numbers are not big enough to keep them occupied with each other, they extend it to other fish in the tank. It is best to keep Tiger-Barbs in groups of 5 - 6, smaller numbers and their insecurities and fin nipping tendencies show.

Adding 2 -3 more T-Barbs should help, I have 19 various Barbs with a Blue Gouramis and they never bother it.

IMO tiger barbs are really best mixed with other semi-aggresive fish and do better in larger tanks, but it's possible that you can end the probs with them by adding 3 more since they should be kept in groups of no less than 6. I don't think a 30 gal is big enough to house anymore than that. If the probs persist I wouldn't be surprised, it is in their nature to be nippy.

Yep - my experience with tiger barbs is similar - they are real nippers and bullies. I have never been able to get them to completely quit picking on other fish, regardless of the size of the "school".

And to top it off - I have NEVER heard a lfs employee tell anyone of this behavior... in fact, have heard them promoted as "good community" fish... never even mentioning the well-known fact that they need to be in schools, and that they ARE fin-nippers.

A 30 Gallon tank is a bit small to have 6 Barbs with your other fish, but should be ok for the short term.

I think Tiger-Barbs get a bad rap overall. The trick is putting them with other semi-aggressive fish and hope for the best. In my 75 Gal I have various Barbs that include 4 each Tigers & Albino's and 3 Green Tiger Barbs. I love them .. their behaviors are interesting watching them try to establish dominance. And they totally leave the Blue Gourami and Red Tail shark alone ... then again a good size tank with plants, caves and logs, I feel helps to curtail the aggression.

I do agree some LFS's have no clue about their aggressive nature in small groups ... sad.

My tiger barbs have dwindled and I now only have one, but he's a converted character ! Trouble is now I have put a golden gourami in, IT is chasing the tiger barb around. I tried isolation of the gourami for 3 hours, and it seems to have worked, suddenly everybody is friendly again, not exactly kissing each other, but they aren't causing a whirlpool either.

I had a Gold Gourami I had to return because it chased our Blue Gourami ALL THE TIME. It had such a awesome Gold color .. but it had to go. From what I understand, Gold Gourami's are aggressive .. just bullies ... so I can see one bullying a single Tiger-Barb.

Back
Top Bottom