Timing my lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been running my LED lights about 13 hours. 7am to 8pm. And sometimes a bit later if I'm staring at the tank.

I have Aqueon modular led's, 2 strips. One daylight and one beauty max full color range. They do not provide PAR Info.

I still want the light on when I am home in the morning and evening.

I am considering setting the timer to come on at 7am and off at 10am. And then back on again at 2 pm and off at 8 pm. The tank will get some natural ambient light from the room but not a lot.

Will this split have any sort of negative impact? Instead of just 10 hours straight on?

Wi

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run mine on a timer and haven't really noticed any issues. The jury still seems out on if it is ideal but nobody seems to be reporting an issues.

I have read that splitting actually helps with algae control . The plants can start using nutrients faster than the algae , so they get a jump start with a split time .

I have read that splitting actually helps with algae control . The plants can start using nutrients faster than the algae , so they get a jump start with a split time .

Yes - good point, in theory it should also help with allowing co2 to recharge as well in non-co2 injected tanks.

Against this would be that nature doesn't have a split period.

And I'm not quite sure on the algae. I've read the same threads but I'm not quite sure the algae have. I've pretty much always used timers though so haven't really tested either way. I guess better to have some growth than unwanted algae from lights run too long. I have found that the higher the PAR rating on the lights, the less time overall I run them for.

I use timers but just to turn on and off . I run my lights for 10 hours a day and with the timers I don't have to deal with the lights and it stays consistent .

I use timers but just to turn on and off . I run my lights for 10 hours a day and with the timers I don't have to deal with the lights and it stays consistent .

Wow - that's impressive on time period. What sort of lights do you have?

I think I'm running 8.5hrs now with a quad t5ho and led strip light on a deep tank. No algae.

On pretty much high-powered reef lights I was only running for 4hrs (reds) to 6hrs (whites) and still getting over-run with BBA.

I am using standard T-8's . I just put old aquarium fixtures in my canopies . I have 60 watts over my 30 long , 30 over my 10 , and 90 over my 75 . After a lot of playing around I found 10 hours to be the best for all tanks . I don't do CO2 or added ferts .

Back
Top Bottom