Tiny white worms/slugs on glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have a 4 ft tank with a single juvenile Oscar being living in there alone all his life since he was young.

My tank specs are:
Eheim 2217 filter,
0Am, 0Ni, 10Nitrates.
24 degrees temp,
PH 7.6
No live plants.

Today on glass I see these tiny white slugs on the glass. I have attached pics.
They seem very small and my Oscar doesn't notice them. Slowly squirming along glass and moving.

What are they?
Are they dangerous?
Can I buy a catfish or loach to eat them?

Thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442997237306.jpg
    1442997237306.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 249
I think they are detritus worms.
They aren't dangerous but are just unsightly. Also the best method to get rid of them is to feed less and remove any uneaten food/detritus in the tank as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is no food in tank.
Oscar eats everything in 8 seconds.

However, my Oscar goes toilet alot, and their huge.
I'll try vacuum his waste more often.

I hope its detritus worms over planaria.

Will a bristlenose or loach eat them?

Thanks.

Will a bristlenose or loach eat them?

Thanks.

Not too sure about that but there's no harm trying out the BN pleco. Small fishes like bettas would eat them so I wouldn't see why a BN would not eat them. But then again I'm not too sure,you could try it out though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah i was thinking of grabbing a bristlenose.

Maybe a starlight or L series pleco.

Really nice. Hope they go with my Oscar.

When I had an Oscar I also got a Plec at the same time. They grew up together so there wasn't any conflict. Wouldn't like to say how an Oscar already established would react to a new companion. Perhaps just make sure the Plec is big enough to stand up for himself.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't put a pleco in a tank with an oscar but that is only my opinion...I have not personally kept oscars, but have heard stories of oscars trying to swallow plecos and getting them lodged in their throat, which could end badly for both. Plus, if the worms you are seeing are caused by extra waste in the tank, why add another fish with a high bioload? Again, just my own personal thoughts. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I wouldn't put a pleco in a tank with an oscar but that is only my opinion...I have not personally kept oscars, but have heard stories of oscars trying to swallow plecos and getting them lodged in their throat, which could end badly for both. Plus, if the worms you are seeing are caused by extra waste in the tank, why add another fish with a high bioload? Again, just my own personal thoughts. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

That'd be my concern, plecs have barbs and don't like to.get munched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol that picture scared me.

I think an aggressive water change and gravel vac for a week is needed.

Back
Top Bottom