Too many fish, now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoredman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon,

I just added 3 more black skirt tetras to my tank. Do I have too many fish in it?

I have a 36 gallon SeaClear System II Acrylic that has around 29g - 30g of fish swim area (7g - 8g built in filter). My tank is now stocked with:

5 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Angelfish
2 pearl gourami

The AqAdvisor calculator says I am ok for a 36 gallon at 94%.

What do the real experts here think?:fish2:

I think you're good.. percentages arnt everything though.. keep an eye out for fin nipping on the angels..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good afternoon,

I just added 3 more black skirt tetras to my tank. Do I have too many fish in it?

I have a 36 gallon SeaClear System II Acrylic that has around 29g - 30g of fish swim area (7g - 8g built in filter). My tank is now stocked with:

5 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Angelfish
2 pearl gourami

That should be fine. The Angelfish might need more room one day if they exceed 6 inches in height, but if they aren't that large right now, everything should be fine. I'm surprised that AqAdvisor says that your stocking level is at 94%. What filter do you use?

I agree with brookster, the amount of stock you have should be fine but the mix of fish is not ideal.

Tetras that you have can be nippy; and depending on what sex your pearls are that could cause for other issues too.

I have 1 male and 3 female pearls because of aggression issues I was facing having only a pair. Theale needs multi females to bully or else he will focus on the ones female and end up killing her over time due to stress.

If you have 2 males those angels will be their number 1 target almost certainly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Stock

Good afternoon,

5 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Angelfish
2 pearl gourami

Hello wy...

It doesn't matter if you have too many fish now. Since you have them, keep their water pure by changing half every week or so. No slacking. As long as the fish get along, they'll be fine. I would add some floating plants. Plants help the fish feel secure, because the plants provide hiding places for the shy types and the fish will use the algae that forms on the leaves for food.

B

Back
Top Bottom