Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if you can have too much filtration for a tank. When I upgrade to a new 55 I will be buying the Marineland emperor 400, which is for up to 80 gallons. Then I will have my aqueon filter from my 30 gallon just laying around, if it won't hurt anything and will add BB and keep water clearer I would like to use it also. Is 500gph too much filtration for a 55g?

Nope you will be fine. Most people recommend double filtration and you will be at 110 for a 55 which will be perfect.

Most recommend 8 to 10 times water turnover per hr. So you will be great on your circulation also !!

Cut the "rated" numbers by the manufacturer in half. Those numbers are taken with no media in the filter.

yes. the rated number is that of the pump itself, it amazes me how many people dont understand that and throw a hissy fit. The basic Idea still remains the same because the people who made up these 8-10x type rules DID infact take these "details" into consideration im sure

That doesn't quite make sense... Why would they tell you that a 110 is good enough for a 110 gallon tank when it would realistically only suit a 55 gallon?

An AC110 could be good for a 110g. It just depends on the bioload of the tank. A heavy loaded tank will obviously need more filtration. If you had a 110g which is mostly planted with only a few small schools of tetra's or something similar then a 110g would more than likely be good.

I usually run two AC110's on a 50g - 75g but my stock list is usually on the heavy side.

Back
Top Bottom