Top 10 Best Filters for a 10g Tank? High Flow is not Favored..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathbows2me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
M looking for more filtration with bio and mechanical, not looking for a filter that's rates for 10g just one that's not gonna turn the tank into a whirl pool, low flow would be nice

deathbows2me said:
M looking for more filtration with bio and mechanical, not looking for a filter that's rates for 10g just one that's not gonna turn the tank into a whirl pool, low flow would be nice

I have a small aquaclear on my small tank, ideal, has actual bio ceramic pieces in the kit. Highly recommend it.

I don't even know if there are 10 popular brands to be honest lol. Most people buy Aquaclear. I'd recommend it as well. The flow shouldn't be too bad.

Aquaclear 20-30

For over filtration I have an Eheim Ecco 2232 Canister on my rimless 10g with custom acrylic Lily pipes. I turned it down a bit when it was new, but now the flow is fine. Even my Betta liked playing in the current.

image-1498924889.jpg

For a small tank, AquaClear filters are the best/most popular option. I personally would shy away from Tetra or Aqueon.

phoenixkiller said:
For a small tank, AquaClear filters are the best/most popular option. I personally would shy away from Tetra or Aqueon.

Actually, I'd recommend an aqueon filter for smaller tanks. I'd use a quietflow 20 and it would work quite well. The self-prime feature is really useful whenever you do larger water changes and it's got a large post-filter to put sponges or ceramic balls for extra bio filtration.

Gawang said:
Actually, I'd recommend an aqueon filter for smaller tanks. I'd use a quietflow 20 and it would work quite well. The self-prime feature is really useful whenever you do larger water changes and it's got a large post-filter to put sponges or ceramic balls for extra bio filtration.

Aqueon products are kinda low quality, and the AquaClear filters do a better job of filtration IMO.

Aqueon products are kinda low quality, and the AquaClear filters do a better job of filtration IMO.

IMO that is completely biased. Aqueon may not make the best filters, but they make a lot of great other products, such as hoods, pro heaters (IMO the best on the market for the price), other heaters, decorations, gravel, water changers, and tanks. Aqueon filters do just as good of a job as Aquaclears, but what most people like about AC is the huge amount of room for media and adjustable flow.
Although, I would recommend the AC 20 for a 10g tank. I have one myself, and love it. Another cheap (and low flow) option would be a sponge filter, which is the best biological filter. Sponge filters are not very good at mechanical filtration though, so they require regular cleaning.

IMO that is completely biased. Aqueon may not make the best filters, but they make a lot of great other products, such as hoods, pro heaters (IMO the best on the market for the price), other heaters, decorations, gravel, water changers, and tanks. Aqueon filters do just as good of a job as Aquaclears, but what most people like about AC is the huge amount of room for media and adjustable flow.
Although, I would recommend the AC 20 for a 10g tank. I have one myself, and love it. Another cheap (and low flow) option would be a sponge filter, which is the best biological filter. Sponge filters are not very good at mechanical filtration though, so they require regular cleaning.
Oops I just meant their filters... their other products are just fine!

phoenixkiller said:
Oops I just meant their filters... their other products are just fine!

Their filters are good too! They perform just fine, people just don't like them because of the media space.

Also, aqueon filters are lower flow in my opinion, which is a feature he was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom