top cross bar on a 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
You know how that plastic bar goes across the middle of some 55g tanks?

The one I have is broken. How much stress is on that bar? Is it really needed to hold the glass in place when filled with water?

Would some good old krazy glue be good enough to hold it? It is just cracked (the plastic not the glass).

well thats a pretty important part of the tank. it essentially divides the length of the tank in half so the the thickness of the glass can be less saving the weight of the tank and money in manufacturing. krazy glue doesn't work so well on some plastics. i would suggest using weld-on plastic adhesive. it actually makes a chemical weld between the 2 pieces of plastic. then for insurance i would take another piece of plastic and weld it on top/bottom of the center brace.

yeah, definately wanna fix that, i read a post where somebody had a 55 and the center support was broken, the whole front glass was bowed out...

heheh def why I want to at least krazy glue it before I put water in it... I haven't even cheeked for tight seals yet. I want it on a stand so it can be level before placing any stress on it.

Thinking of using string or wire to help as a clamp along with the glue and it should hold... Almost looks like someone went to pick it up by that cross bar and it is how it broke.

they probably did lol... super glue wouldnt really be that strong, i agree with fisheggs about sandwiching plastic on both sides, or at least the bottom so you have a piece glued the entire lenth... you dont know how much the plastic was weakened where it broke.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about the bar that goes across the top or the one on the bottom?

... Almost looks like someone went to pick it up by that cross bar and it is how it broke.

that is a common occurrence. definitely don't put water in it before fixing the center brace and i suggest a water test outside lol dont want an accidental waterfall in the house.

yeppers an outside test, I need to wash it out a bit also...

I still need to build the stand, wanna give the neighbors a heads-up about some saw and drill noises (just to be a nice guy).

It is the cross bar on the top. the one on the bottom looks good.

You could also, Silicone a glass crossbrace in its place. Glass wont cause a shadow and wont be too hard to put in. Just cut off the old brace.

The black plastic part has a crack/break in it.... Thinking of finding something to fit in the rise and just bracing it (via krazy glue) sort of like replacing a section of floor joist.

If you can find out the manufacturer of the tank, you can most likely order a new top frame. It's a pain in the butt getting the old one off of there, but I wouldn't trust silicone on plastic, or any other glue for that matter.

well thats a pretty important part of the tank........then for insurance i would take another piece of plastic and weld it on top/bottom of the center brace.

100% agree.

Joining the original pieces with glue at the break (butt weld) will not give you a good joint or much strenth in the brace.

Use 2 similar pieces of plastic to sandwich the broken piece. Gluing dissimilar plastics doesn't usually work well.

Clean the broken brace and the new pieces well before you glue.

Good Luck.

I think it is an all glass I got it used. I was thinking of sanding down the brace to get some extra surface area for the glue to bond.

I emailed glasscages.com (I think that is the place) to see if I can get a top frame.

yeah, definately wanna fix that, i read a post where somebody had a 55 and the center support was broken, the whole front glass was bowed out...

Haha - yes, that was me! I wholeheartedly agree about getting in fixed. In my case, I just opted to go with a brand new tank since I was worried about the integrity of the glass. If yours isn't bowing out yet though, fixing it sounds like a much cheaper option!

Have you heard back yet about getting a replacement top?

I believe from glasscages.com it was like $15 or so :) which is a lot cheaper than a new tank.

for the DIY person out there, would it be possible to construct a canopy that acted in a similar fashion to keep the front and back panel a fixed distance apart? Kind of a collar?

Although if you can get a new top fram for $15, that'd probably be simpler and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom