Totally confused lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this is going to be a very bizarre post but just close your eyes and visualize what im going to type to you because I can't get a video if it lol.

(Cough cough) so as most of you know I have rainbows and tetras, I have not been able to sex my rainbows as the ones I have aren't sexed like a common rainbow example a boseman.

This morning I go down to feed the fish and I see what I thought were 3 females chasing each other, bright flashes on their head, kind of sideways under the other fish, and doing what I call the fish shimmy, kinda like a fish dance, it's very funny and intriguing to watch as the nest I can explain it is the fish looks like they are shivering for a few seconds them go back to chasing and then repeating this over and over for about a minute, I don't believe they are fighting if so its the most polite fight I've seen lol, the 3 fish in question 2 of the 3 I thought were females had ULTRA bright colors very dark tipped fins and the typical male flashing on the head but I don't know if females do that also, I have to get a video of it somehow but when I get to the tank they stop cause they know it's feeding time. (today I should of brought my phone I would of been able to get a video.

Any ideas of maybe if the females are displaying to other females or males displaying to other males? Or maybe the ones I thought were females are actually males or visa versa?

I think it's a pretty good bet that you have a mixture of both sexes and the noted behavior is most likely spawning. As you know there is no love in the fish world. The fish who are not actively involved in the courting, but hanging close to the action, are waiting for eggs to be expelled, so they can eat them. Happens in my tanks regularly. You ought to see the Tetra tornado when one of my Buenos Aires Tetras drops eggs. Lol.

Did you make that video of your tank? If so what beautiful fish! Do any of them look fatter than normal? Looks like a mating "shimmy" lol to me. Maybe it's something they do instinctively even without a female? I know nothing of this species but very cool!
No no this isn't my tank I Googled rainbow spawning And found this video, sorry my rainbows aren't that pretty sigh :( the thing is most of the new rainbows I got day after Thanksgiving look like females, I do have a male boseman and a male irani red but the herbalexrodi, kangaroo creek, parva and sentaniensis (sentani) all look like females but I can't find out how to sex them.
Stunning https://imgur.com/gallery/xxZzV

I think it's a pretty good bet that you have a mixture of both sexes and the noted behavior is most likely spawning. As you know there is no love in the fish world. The fish who are not actively involved in the courting, but hanging close to the action, are waiting for eggs to be expelled, so they can eat them. Happens in my tanks regularly. You ought to see the Tetra tornado when one of my Buenos Aires Tetras drops eggs. Lol.
I was like what in the world leave them alone lol, but the herbalexrodi I would of swore to be female had an ULTRA black strip down the side, and tops if the fins as well as a neon purple strobe light head lol

EDIT : Melanotaenia parva

I had 2 angels that bred together for months before they both laid eggs within a day of each other...Silly girls !
That being said I have seen the red Iranian rainbow change sex ..Not heard of it ,saw it. My male dies and three months later I have 1 male and 2 females instead of 3 females.. I am not sure all rainbow can do this but I also believe it is documented..

I had 2 angels that bred together for months before they both laid eggs within a day of each other...Silly girls !
That being said I have seen the red Iranian rainbow change sex ..Not heard of it ,saw it. My male dies and three months later I have 1 male and 2 females instead of 3 females.. I am not sure all rainbow can do this but I also believe it is documented..
Yeah i have read that they can in fact change sexes, what's so awesome is their heads flash like strobe lights, my male irani turns neon orange, the parvo was neon pearlescent purple and the sentani was a greenish color I didn't know if females flashed like the males do, I'm gonna have to have my cousin come over with her camera and take pictures of them instead of my phone.

I got a video I think the herbalexrodi is just being a jerk to the parva or the parva being a jerk to the herbalexrodi I dont know which fish is what, now I have to worry about my fish being stressed because of this ugh why can't this be easy? also I have some major evaporation.. this pic is my tank 2 days before my pwc, gonna do it a day early is this because I have so much filtration? .. Look how big the L repens are they are probably a couple days from being trimmed and replanted, when I got them they were 4" now 2 almost reach the top of the tank (14-15"+)
Over evaporation https://imgur.com/a/q3DFY

https://youtu.be/5BqiVq3b6Po

Your tank looks awesome and the fish look colorful and healthy. Please add music to the video next time. Lol.

Your tank looks awesome and the fish look colorful and healthy. Please add music to the video next time. Lol.
Lol yeah my voice isn't very enlightening lol, but I just got to get them to stop fighting

It's probably just their nature. Of course you can always add more.

It's probably just their nature. Of course you can always add more.
No no not until I upgrade, I have so many things going on right now everything is just overwhelming, my pc is messed up that's a very expensive fix, plus my tank plus real Life I need a clone lol

Love your tank setup. I am having major evaporation it's been very dry and I rent a basement apartment.

Love your tank setup. I am having major evaporation it's been very dry and I rent a basement apartment.
Ty, it's still a work in progress and yes my house is very dry as well, plus I have a lot of filtration I think is making it worse.

Back
Top Bottom