Treatment before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had another thread that kinda got away so I'll start another. I'll be short an tithe point. The thread was about setting up a QT/hospital tank which I now have. I orders some meds to treat things I may come across for my finned friends. Some have given the advice of adding meds prior to any outbreak at all.

So now pretty soon I'll have my fish first aid kit and hospital all set up and ready if need be.

Like adding something to kill off parasites maybe every 2 weeks. I want your thoughts on this. Is it necessary? Will they benefit? Waste of money?

Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

I personally wouldn't recommend and "just in case" use for fish in QT. Meds applied without a good diagnosis almost always lead to more problems. The only exception (for me) would be something known to come in with parasites, i.e. dwarf puffers.

I agree, in general you don't want to treat fish as preventative maintenance, since the diseases/parasites etc can become resistant to treatment by doing this. There are some exceptions though, as HN1 mentioned, I also treat any personally wild caught fish immediately as well, but that's it.

Ok thanks guys. Just wanted to get my fish first aid set up so if something did arise I'd be ready to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom