triops anyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heavenly

Aquarium Advice Regular
anyone everheard of Triops and if so can they be added to your tank?? :?:

From the description I read on their box, they sounded like good fish food. ;)

Triops are not fish at all. They are crustaceans. Look up Triops longicaudatus (sp.?). They are ephemeral pond organisms. I've never added them to aquariums and don't guess they would do to well, but who knows. They are filter feeders so they probably wouldn't hurt any of the fish unless they had some parasites, etc. I'm assuming you have dried eggs that you want to re-constitute?
-mark

you have them??

I noticed on the instruction sheet that you can feed them fish so I was wondering if my fish were big enough that they wouldn't eat them. I have full grown mollies, gourami, and pleco, african dwarf frogs.

maybe I've got their feeding down wrong. I'll have to look it up again. Sorry in advance if they are indeed predatory. I've come across them several times, but have never raised them myself.
-Mark

I have them growing in a one liter tank like it said to do... but they seem to be out growing it

I went back and checked out what I have on them and don't see any reference to any fish eating triops. I would bet they wouldn't hurt your fish, but the fish might hurt them (although they do have a rather hard exoskeleton).
-mark

Since Wal-Mart sells Triops, I set some up to see what they were all about. I put them in the little 1/2 gallon critter carriers. They lasted about 45 days like the box says and got to be about 1 - 1.5 inches wide. I thought that they were pretty cool and boy can those things eat! And lay the eggs! Dude, I've never seen so many eggs before!

I don't think that they would harm your fish either, and I doub't that your fish would harm them. They grow very fast and have very hard exoskeletons! So as everyone else has said, there a fun things to have for a while!

I saw them at wal mart and decided to pick them up for the same reasons. I stopped feeding them the food that came with them and just feed them blood worms. Is that okay in your opinon?? Did the eggs hatch?

if they ate the bloodworms, should be ok IMO. And as for the eggs...

As far as I know, MOST triops eggs need to be dried out, and then rehydrated in order to hatch, although some can and will hatch in the water. The site below also mentions stirring up the water because the embryos in the eggs look for signs of "flash flooding" and ponds filling up to tell them when it is ready to hatch. Check out this site, it is really cool and have fun with them!

http://www3.uakron.edu/biology/triops.html

Back
Top Bottom