Trouble getting Python to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weltmeister

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My water pressure is 75psi with everything off, and drops to about 40-45psi when I turn on my faucet full bore.

I have a 50 foot Python. I was unable to get it to work on Saturday, even if I turned on the hot and cold water to full pressure. One thing that I found annoying about the python is that under the brass adapter, under the assembly that screws into the brass adapter, there is a plastic cone that screws into the rest of the body of the pump that is easy to unscrew.

I'm not sure if that's the problem, or if my rate of water flow is insufficient. I bought the 50 foot model with the thought that it is better to have too much length than too little.

I tested it later that evening, after I had given up and put the hose away. I felt a decent amount of suction on the side of the pump. I thought that I had everything tight, but I will try again today and really make sure that every single fitting along the whole length is tight.

Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

If the plastic cone piece that you describe is not tight, the Python won't syphon. (Hey, I'm a poet and didn't even know-it :wink: .)

I had the same problem with mine until I tighted that up securely. Mine has a hexagon shaped hole in that piece, and I think I just used the end of a spoon handle in the hole to snug it up.

I also have the 50 foot model, and it doesn't take much tap pressure to get it going, so hopefull that's all the problem is.

That thread strips very easily. It's just a poor choice of materials. Try some teflon plumbers tape. That solved my probs.

You probably already checked it, but there is a valve near the vacuum end that needs to be open. I hardly ever use that valve myself so it is easy for me to forget if it gets shut. The discharge on mine can get clogged too if I suck up a bunch of java moss or something.

Back
Top Bottom