Two plecs in one tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sawyers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi wee question hav got two common plecs about 11 inches one is a rescue about a month in my tank now the two of them keep lip locking and banging heads and sucking on to each other kind of worried is it normal and will it stop thanks

Hi wee question hav got two common plecs about 11 inches one is a rescue about a month in my tank now the two of them keep lip locking and banging heads and sucking on to each other kind of worried is it normal and will it stop thanks

Welcome to AA! What size tank are the common plecos in? these guys can get massive. You could have 2 males who could be fighting to be top fish. If it was me, I would rehome 1 or both of them.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice:D

I know the minimum for a full grown common Pleco(15'') is 55 gallons. If you have 2 of them, it's gonna take a lot more then that.
Plus what tetral said would confirm.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice:D

I know the minimum for a full grown common Pleco(15'') is 55 gallons. If you have 2 of them, it's gonna take a lot more then that.
Plus what tetral said would confirm.

Commons get much bigger and need much more

Sounds like you do have two males and their aggression will continue even if one becomes dominant. Rehoming one if not both is a good option IMO.

A 55g simply doesn't provide enough room for a fish of 1-2 feet long to turn around and swim freely. IMO the bare minimum for one common is a 125g tank.

Small tanks don't stunt fish but the water conditions of small tanks can. The smaller the tank and the bigger the fish the faster toxins rise and the longer the fish sits in its own waste.

To the OP I would rehome at least one of them unless you have a massive tank so they can avoid each other.

A 55g simply doesn't provide enough room for a fish of 1-2 feet long to turn around and swim freely. IMO the bare minimum for one common is a 125g tank.

Small tanks don't stunt fish but the water conditions of small tanks can. The smaller the tank and the bigger the fish the faster toxins rise and the longer the fish sits in its own waste.

To the OP I would rehome at least one of them unless you have a massive tank so they can avoid each other.
Actually, ive seen a 72'' 75 gallon tank. The dimensions are usually 70''-72'' for a 125 gallon so it just depends if it's a long or a tall.

Actually, ive seen a 72'' 75 gallon tank. The dimensions are usually 70''-72'' for a 125 gallon so it just depends if it's a long or a tall.

That might be but the swimming space and water volume from a 75 to a 125g makes a huge difference. A 72" 75g tank might be long but would it be wide and deep enough? IMO, no.

I would suggest rehoming one of them unless you have another tank for one of them to live in. As others have stated seems like you have two males who are being aggressive towards each other.

Back
Top Bottom