Types of Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I currently have 3 albino bristle nose plecos I'm going to try and breed once they become of age (and once I find out of the 3 how many are males/females)

I also have 3 guppies in a 10 gallon tank of which the 2 females are pregnant. I don't have any java moss in the tank, but I do have other plants so hopefully the fry will make it on their own.

-Stewie

I am breeding serpae tetras, Labidochromis caeruleus and Endler's livebearers.

I am trying to separate out the morphs of the Endler's and mixing with other's stock to keep the wild strains pure, and it is not easy. Fortunately I am participating on an Endler's livebearer forum (in my sig) and I can keep in touch with many other breeders, including John Endler himself! :mrgreen:

Tankgirl, whats the method you use to make your serpae's breed? How do you tell the difference between males and females? My girlfriend has a pair of serpaes, maybe I can (under the right conditions) trigger them to spawn. :fadein:

I am breeding Keyhole cichlids, White Clouds and honey gouramis. I've only been succesfull at actually raising the white clouds, but my the keyhole cichlids are getting better. And the honey gouramis only have had one spawn so far.

Stewie - I really have trouble telling the genders apart, except that the females are fuller-bodied when they are ready to drop eggs. The key with them is to provide a spawning area that will allow the eggs to fall down away from where the parents could eat them, and relatively large water changes usually get things rolling, with the water a few degrees cooler.

I would imagine you would need more than just one pair to get the job done - their natural behaviors come out so much better when they are in larger groups. The female and a male can be removed to a spawning tank when she looks ready, then remove the parents afterwards.

Just a general breeding question:

Aside from livebearers, when you all breed fish, do you keep them in a species-only breeding tank, or are they in a community tank? My paleatus cats will breed with regularity, but unless they have their own tank, the majority of the eggs are eaten by their tank mates.

I am also attempting to breed some kribs in a 20 and firemouths in another, but am still waiting for the fireworks....

There's a huge difference between setting out to spawn a species and having them accidentally spawn in a community tank. TG, big hint on the serpaes. They will usually spawn just after the lights come on in the morning. Lower the water level to allow the eggs to drop into spawning area (java moss works great), when you wake in the morning, Breeders can be removed immediately following. :wink:

I am going to try and raise a tank or two of platies, to gain some experience in handling fry. Then I also want to give angelfish a try.

I'm not currently trying to breed anything but some are doing it on their own. I have a some cories that have eggs from time to time, angels who like to spawn and feed upon the eggs, ghost shrimp full of eggs plus guppies and platies who like to drop babies alot.
I have a pair of blue rams, a bunch of bristlenose plecos, leleupi and compressiceps that I may try to set up for breeding some day as well as the ones who have already tried.
I also have a pair of black clown fish (sw) that I would like to breed.

I had my Apistos 2 weeks and they spawned. Don't tell them that the tank is still cycling.... sheesh talk about impatient fish!

The mother is really looking after them well. They are still at wriggler stage and growing quickly. It looks like a couple dozen of the lil guys. They should be free swimming soon.

I have a pair of kribs in my community tank. They have had one spawn that was semi-successful. A lot (15+) of the fry made it to the free swimming stage but I haven't seen any for a week. Not sure if they are hiding or got eaten by the knife fish. Hopefully some lucky fry will eventually make it. The female looks like she's getting ready again.

I got dozens of white clouds frys without trying :oops: - this tank is in my office and has no plants. I added some java moss after the frys came along

I have no idea if the frys will survive, but they have for 6 days now :D

For me, I am not particularly trying to spawn anything. Conditions just seem to be right for the serpaes in this particular tank. The tank is so thick and dense that the egg-eating cories (plus three ancistrus - don't think they'd turn them down) don't seem to find the fry.

If I was trying to breed them specifically I would definitely set up a couple of species tank, one for the adults and one for the fry. I did not realize that about the lights-out factor, Brian - good to know.

When it comes to fish like N. brichardi and kribensis, for instance, you are definitely going to have an easier time in a species only tank. Kribs and brichardi both are extremely intolerant of other fish around at spawning time, and they will make life miserable in the tank. I'd probably do the same for angels, and give the parents 3-4 spawns to see if they can handle getting the eggs to free swimming stage - some can and some just can't get it done.

Back
Top Bottom