UNhappy fish, keeps trying to escape! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHBowhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 9 inch tire track eel who keeps jumping out of the water and into the filter, almost salmon like hen they go up a waterfall.

He has a flowerpot that is dark to hide in and seems to eat ok, i just get tired of having to rescue him every day, any ideas

I did lower the water in the tank so he has about a 5 inch jump but thats not a problem for him cause he starts at the bottom o the tnk and builds up speed

the only idea i have is to put some wire screen / mesh over the filter that the water can get thru but she cant. thx

Also double check your water parameters. While tiretracks are definite jumpers, fish will also try to leave the tank when the water parameters are not good.

He's not escaping he's going into the filter...
Thats really bizzare but yeah a mesh of the netting from your standard aquarium net would probably work.

A hood?
Maybe the mosquito net you use for windows and stuff (the plastic one) could help

i'd also recoment a net of some kind. if you have a fish net that's old or you can spare, cut it up and use that.
that is really odd- fist time i've ever herd of that

Allivymar is right, do check your water. I had a Gourami that kept jumping out the aquarium about a year ago and I found out that the ammonia levels were high. A too high of a pH or too low of a pH will also irritate the fish...so check your water...and if your water is ok then I guess your fish is just a unique one :)

TheNewGuy said:
this is kinda off topic but what do you feed your eel?

he eats leaf worms which are just a skinny version of a night crawler and he also eats frozen brine shrimp, the shrimp fall to the bottom and then at night he noses thru the gravel and sucks them up.

PROBLEM SOLVED

i got a large scoup net from the lfs and cut the netting out and duct taped it to the filter housing nice and tight. i watched the eel his name is LEE figure it out. anyway i watched him jump up hit it and bounce right back, thanks for the help as always

god i love duct tape

That's a nice easy way to feed your eel! Mine's named "Elly"! I'll have to try that. My guy seems to like "standing" in my tank but I think it is to check for feeder goldfish! He eats 3-4 a day! Pig! :D

Back
Top Bottom