Untreated water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read treated tap water Dissipates very quickly and wonder if untreated small wc(30%) with the filter pump off would do any harm, in some cases sickly fish have greatly improved with this method, would like your thoughts on this........does anyone not de-chlorinate?

Hi Ricky 1:

If your tap water contains either chlorine or chloramine you should always treat it with a dechlorinator before adding it to the tank. Those substances are harmful both to your fish and to the nitrifying bacteria in your tank.

I had not heard that dechlorinated water dissipates more quickly than untreated water, and for the life of me I can't imagine why that would be the case.

-Yorg

I read treated tap water Dissipates very quickly and wonder if untreated small wc(30%) with the filter pump off would do any harm, in some cases sickly fish have greatly improved with this method, would like your thoughts on this........does anyone not de-chlorinate?

Thanks Yorg, if you let water age, the chlorine dissipates anyway, I have tested this and know others use this method without any effect to fish.....or BB.....

Thanks Yorg, if you let water age, the chlorine dissipates anyway, I have tested this and know others use this method without any effect to fish.....or BB.....

Not treating tap water doesn't do anything to fix the heavy metals in the water and it's honestly better to be safe than sorry imho.

Just treat the tap water, if it's not going to have any effect on the BB then it won't have any effect on any pathogens as well.

I am too scared not to treat mine as you and Yorg say it's not worth the risk
However I know some who don't treat the whole tank when using a Python........

Yes, it (chlorine) does evaporate, but now there is chloramine, which appears unsafe to even drink: http://www.iuhoakland.com/Chloramine.pdf
probably best to use water conditioner.

I know more than a few people who don't use a dechlor for 50% water changes without issue, and have been doing so for 30 years. I did it myself until a few years ago, when I got some inexpensive sodium thiosulphite crystals for home made dechlor.
From an experiment I did a few years ago, I discovered that within a few minutes following a 50% water change, no chlorine shows on testing. The chlorine hasn't dissipated, but rather, has been consumed. It reacts very quickly because it is an oxidizer. Ditto for dechlor which is a reducer.
My water does not have chloramine, just chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom