update on Big Boi...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Heya...

I started an aggressive Ich treatment with salt, temp and rid-ich+ in my efforts to save Big Boi, my paradise fish. He is one of the first fish i got and one of my absolute favorites... very very pretty.

Well, today his color is MUCH improved, almost back to normal, but he is still really lethargic, gassping and laying at the bottom of the tank on his side. He is being so tough, trying so hard to get better. But he isn't so dark anymore. His colors are back to normal almost. I really hope this is a sign of improvement.

I am so worried i am making him suffer. I am really trying to make him well, but he seems so miserable. Twice now I have been tempted to euthanize him because i hate seeing him like this and am really worried he is in unbearable pain. But I keep resolving that if he keeps fighting, I am going to keep trying.

I am still not positive it is Ich I am fighting....he has all the symptoms but no spots. But the treatment has improved his coloration as of today. Just not his behavior. He is still not eating. i tried feeding him some baby brine shrimp last night, hoping the small, nutrious food would at least get in his mouth a little. I had just hatched some for my GBR fry. I'll be so glad to see him eat and swim around again, if he makes it.

I hope he makes it. Just keep and eye on him. I hate seeing fish in pain so i can see why you were temped to euthenize him. I had to do that to one of my guppies about a week ago. I hope he starts to eat. How long has he been like this now?

about 3 days. he is in QT now. he isn't acting much better, but looks much better.

I have been treating his QT with salt, heat and rid-ich+. daily 80% water changes with re-dose of salt and rid-ich+.

feeding freshly hatched bbs in hope some will seep into his mouth, as he is breathing pretty rapidly.

i noticed today his gills look a bit flared.

I have 2 danios in with him to monitor the dosage of meds. if they are dangerous, the danios will start showing signs pretty quick from my experiences in the past. also they are helping keep the cycle regulated in that tank. it is a 5 gal hex.

lights are off, tanks is covered to reduce stress to Big Boi. he really freaks out when i take the towel off or turn on the lights or tap his glass. freaking out, not good for him right now. he really shakes.

he is still hanging in there. he is having a real tough time with this, but somehow i have a feeling he is going to pull thru if i keep his treated for a bit. only worry is i have to go out of town on wed or thur for an extended period. I am going to interview whoever i hire to take care of my tanks to see if they will really care for Big Boi while I am gone. I really hope he improves significantly before i leave.

he has made it thru 3 nights like this. That gives me a lot of hope. he isn't doing great, but is tolerating the aggressive treatment like a champ. he is a little fighter.

ironically, some of his original tank mates spawned last night.

i talk to him a lot, telling him i have faith in him and that he will make it. that he is tough and a fighter and promise lots of his favorite foods as soon as he is well enough to eat. he wiggles his tail a little when i do this. not sure if i am stressing him out or if he is happy to see me. if he is uncomfortably dormant for too long and i am scared, i move him a touch with a brine shrimp net. just to make sure he is still kicking. he is.

i think if he makes it thru the next 48 hours, he will make it. it will be touch and go though. i can see in his eyes he is hurting and i wish there was something i could do to make it better for him.

salinity is about 1.003 right now. temp is 88.3. dosing 1/2 tsp rid ich+ every 12 hours with a 95% H2O change and deep gravel vac to pick up any tormants.

i really hope it is ich in his gills. he did show much better color today since i started treating him, which leads me to believe i am doing the right thing. i just wish he would swim around and eat rather than laying cockeyed on the bottom of the tank and hiding.

well, it seems one of his eyes has "popped" now. Looks like pop-eye.

I want to change to an antibiotic treatment, but am concerned as the bottle of rid-ich+ warns not to use any other meds with it.

Throw as much AC as will fit into your filter. It probably wouldn't take more than a few turnovers to almost completely remove the Rid-Ich+. If you have the time, let it run for as many turnovers as you can then put in fresh AC and let it run some more. Just don't forget to pull out the AC before you start the antibiotic treatment.

Also, do a water change before you add the carbon...it will get out alot of the old meds so the carbon doesn't have much to suck up...then you can start the antibiotics after a couple days.

Good News!

I actually saw him swim across the tank today. He wet across and laid down on the rocks on the other side.

He is also wagging his tail again. He had stopped doing anything but pumping his gills for a while there and i really thought he wasn't going to make it.

Awesome! It's a great feeling when you start seeing a fish come back around with your help. It makes me want to go out and get a Ph.D.

Back
Top Bottom