Upgrading filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongRifle45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am upgrading my filter. My 10 gallon tank came with a Mainland Penguin filter with bio wheel that only filters 75 gph. I am upgrading to an Aquaclear 30 that does 150 gph. I currently have two comet goldfish that I need to keep alive until spring so I can transfer them to a friends pond. My tank has already cycled. What is the best way to switch filters. I have two cats, so I can't run both filters because I would have to are the lid off the tank. I was thinking about cutting the old filter media out of the Penguin cartridge, and layering it by the ceramic BioMax rings in the AC. Do I have any options to try and incorporate the bio wheel too to help colonize the bacteria in my new filter?

I also bought the ammonia remover filter to use in place of the charcoal because I am struggling keeping up with the bio load from the goldfish.

I think that plan is sound. You could simple toss the bio wheel in the tank.
You might consider an AC50 instead. More space for media, higher flow rate. You can always reduce the flow as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I got it. I did a 25% water change and rinsed the new filter with the old tank water. I rinsed the three filter medias in the old water. I placed the sponge, then the ammonia remover bag, then the floss that I cut out of the old cartridge, then the BioMax ceramic bag. I managed to pull the media off the old BioWheel and placed it just where the water comes into the filter. I'll let it run like that for a week to seed the new filter, and then remove the old stuff.

The Aquaclear 30 is soon much quieter and has much better flow compared to the Penguin that came with my 10g kit.

Back
Top Bottom