Upgrading Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrmjrm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I have a 29 gal that I was filtering with 20-40 gal power filter. The water always seemed to be cloudy and filled with little particles, so I decided that I should upgrade my filter. Tonight I put in a 30-60 gal power filter. I was able to use the sponge material and filter cartridge from the original filter in the new one - so half of the filter media in the new filter is new and half is from the old filter. I also added some Tetra SafeStart, just to be on the safe side. How worried should I be about my biological filtration crashing because of the change in filters? What else can I do to help prevent a crash?

If you kept the media wet and the old filter kept the water parameters in line, I see no problem. As for the cloudy water, are you overfeeding?

Thanks, guys. Now I won't have to worry so much.

As for the overfeeding, I don't think that I am. I have 3 giant danio, 4 tiger barbs, 4 corys, and one dwarf gourami. I feed them flake food twice a day, every few days I'll add an algae wafer for them to snack on, and once a day I feed blood worms for the gourami. The corys do a good job cleaning up what makes it to the bottom and when I clean the tank and vacuum the gravel it's mostly poop, not food that comes up. The water already looks clearer to me today, and I just changed the filter last night, so maybe that will fix it. I hope. Does it sound like I'm overfeeding? I guess I really don't know. The water has been testing perfectly, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates are usually between 10 and 20, so water quality is good. It's just cloudy. It looks like dust particles or little bubbles of air floating around in there.

If your water parameters are in line, I wouldn't worry. Does your filter make splashing sounds? If so, it might be injecting bubbles into the aquarium. You could try raising the water level a bit.

Cloudy water could also be a result of the type of filter you are using. In one of my tanks I was using an Aqueon filter (which is cartridge based) and then switched to an Aqua Clear (insert based). Huge difference in clarity and the only inserts I use are the BioMax and filter sponges.

Cloudy water could also be a result of the type of filter you are using. In one of my tanks I was using an Aqueon filter (which is cartridge based) and then switched to an Aqua Clear (insert based). Huge difference in clarity and the only inserts I use are the BioMax and filter sponges.

AH-HA!!! The kind of insight/feedback on the Aqueon filters I have been searching for!

According to Twincess, the type of filter you're running DOES make a difference when it comes to cloudy water -- all this time I have been running two Aqueons, and my water is always cloudy, with very brief, occasional bouts of semi-clarity; Twincess says there seems to be a massive difference when an AquaClear took the place of the Aqueon, and now I'm thinking this is what I should do too because my cloudy water is back yet again...

Which brings me to a new thread I wanted to start anyway...:eyes:

Back
Top Bottom